Kennmore Dryer causes breaker shutoff after a few minutes

Old 12-09-04, 01:42 PM
kenny80
Visiting Guest
Post Kennmore Dryer causes breaker shutoff after a few minutes

I have a sticky problem with Kennmore series 80 dryer.

- The dryer runs for 5-10 minutes depending on the load, heat works, but then it trips the breaker. My breaker box is Cutler Hammer (very old style)

1) I have called the dryer repair person he told me it's the breaker. I got an electrician to replace the breaker (Cutler Hammer 30 amp dual pole), this was refurbished breaker as no one makes these breakers any more. The electrician monitored the peak current and it never went over 22 amps.

2) The dryer still behaves the same, so I called the dryer person again. He checked the heating element, thermostat, motor, etc. In fact he changed the first two to try if it makes any difference. Dryer still causes breakers to fail. Could it be the motor? it would cost me over $200....

By now I have already spend over $200 with no conclusion about where the problem is. Any ideas? I wish I could easily plug in a diff. try to find whether the problem is with dryer or the breaker. I am about to go and buy a new dryer to see if that's the problem as replacing circuit breaker box is $1200. So any help is appriciated.

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-04, 02:00 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Kenny,
I don't think it's the motor as most dryer motors run on 120.
I would tend to think the problem may be in the heating element. Can you remove it and check for broken insulators or wires ? Both types (round and straight) come out of the back fairly easily.

Old 12-10-04, 08:17 AM
kenny80
Visiting Guest
You may be on to something

The heating element is definately "beaten" up in that in one place it's turing black. The coils looks ok, but the plate in between and the ceramic things are not in the best shapes at the point where it's black. The dryer tech actually replaced it we ran the dryer again and it had the same problem. He suggested that in the past due to lint backup it might have shorted, but with the new breaker we eliminated the possibility that it might be the reason presently.

Are you suggesting the contacts or leads (from the dryer electric wiring side ) could be the problem?

Thanks,

Old 12-11-04, 02:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
hi Kenny- it definitely sounds like something is taking a few minutes to heat up then trip the breaker. Two other things I would check are the main connecter block where the cord wires are attached. Look here for charred contacts, loose wire etc.
The other, and I know this may sound stupid is to check the entire air exhaust tunnel from lint trap right to outside wall, for blockages of any kind. good luck with it