Help in removing agitator on Kenmore 90 Series washing machine

Old 01-01-05, 07:13 PM
UCrew
Visiting Guest
Help in removing agitator on Kenmore 90 Series washing machine

Greetings. I have a Kenmore 90 Series washing machine. Every so often an item of clothing will have what looks to be a grease mark left on it after going through the wash. When this happens we have called Sears appliance repair and they send out a repairman to look at the unit. What they find is that there is a build-up of detergent or fabric softener under the agitator that simply needs to be cleaned out and all is well again. We've asked him how to remove the agitator ourselves in the future to correct this and the reply was it takes a special "tool" to do this and they do not sell the tool to the end-user - which of course I find to be ridiculous

Does anyone have any experience removing the agitator on this type of machine? If in fact it does require a special tool, does anyone know where I can buy one? Unfortunately I've never seen the done, as it was my wife that was home in the past when they have made their prior service calls.

I did remove the fabric softener dispensor that is on top of the agitator and the cap that is below that, but there isn't any bolt or nut there to remove.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Jeff

Old 01-01-05, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi UCrew,
Welcome to the DIY Forums.
If you have the type that just has a large square hole in the middle under the cap,the "special" tool you need is a socket extension bar or a very large flat screwdriver. Stick this "tool" into the square hole and unscrew it. This really is a bolt. After you take this bolt out lift the top half of the agitator off.You should find a second bolt to remove. This will allow you to remove the bottom half of the agitator.
Please post back if this is the type of agitator you have, if its not directions can be given for different types however your model number will help decide what kind you have, Kenmore is just a brand name given by Sears. They are manufactured by several different factories.

If this information is correct please post back with your results.

Old 01-02-05, 08:03 AM
UCrew
Visiting Guest
Perfect !!

Your advice worked like a charm. I was able to remove the agitator this morning and I cleaned out all of the built-up goop. Now I should be good for another 12 months / 12,000 miles.

Thank you very much!!

Jeff

Old 10-11-08, 05:37 PM
B
Your Fix work

I was having EXACTLY the same problem, and I was able to remove the Agitator now with NO problem. Thanks again for the advice. GI2

Old 12-24-08, 09:35 AM
M
Fix worked!

My issue was a gym short draw string caught under the agitator.

As advertised, removing the plastic bolt on the top of the agitator, then the top section of the agitator, followed by next interior bolt, allowed me to remove the whole plastic agitator base and finally get to the string.

A two bolt fix, no parts, cool!!!!
Thanks a million - I'm now a member of the website.

Old 09-19-09, 01:28 PM
Help with 90 series agitator

My washing machine is also a Kenmore 90 series. I have read all the other comments on stuff getting stuck in the agitator, but mine doesn't have a square hole on top.

Mine has a fabric softener dispenser, which I removed and then the agitator itself, with "Triple Action" imprinted on top. There isn't a hole, a square hole, a bolt -- nothing. Am I looking in the wrong place?

Help save my scrubs! (Why couldn't it be the old T-shirts that get stuck?)

Old 09-19-09, 05:02 PM
J
The top of the agitator that says "Triple" just pulls off. Use a small flat head screwdriver to pull it off. A 1/2" ratchet with an extension fits the plastic bolt head perfectly. Unscrew counter-clockwise.

Mine stripped out the one-way clutch grabbers today. Looks like an easy fix after a trip to get parts.

Good Luck

John

Old 09-19-09, 06:07 PM
Thanks

Thanks - I got the "Triple Action" cover off and used the ratchet head with extender to get the top half off. It worked great!

I am with limited ability when it comes to tools, though.

Do you have an idea what size socket I should be hunting around for in the garage?

Thanks for your help.

Old 09-20-09, 05:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
7/16 six point is the best to use.

Old 11-12-11, 02:26 AM
P
Kenmore 90 series washer, oil on clothes

Thank you for the great information and accurate easy directions. Spent hours on the net looking for a fix. Found posts from replacing the transmission to the clutch assembly. After pulling off the agitator found grease like residue, cleaned this up and washer is working great.

Thanks to all

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: