GE Dishwasher: No water coming out?

Old 01-16-05, 08:57 AM
chadl
Visiting Guest
GE Dishwasher: No water coming out?

General Electric PermaTuf Potscrubber 900

I tried running my dishwasher and no water was coming out. I smelled a burning scent too (this after the dw was on for 20 minutes with no water shooting out).

Model # GSD900L-20

I took the Lower Wash Arm Spray Tower off and I can see the water sitting there but it won't come out.

I have a feeling this is being caused by the pump. I hear the motor running so I know its not the motor. Is there any place I can order only the pump or should I just replace them both while I am at it.

Also, most importantly, can I take the gold coil off to flip it on its front to work on it or should I not?

Anybody have any clue why this would happen. Thanks.

Last edited by chadl; 01-16-05 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-17-05, 12:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi chadl,
I'm confused , when you say "no water coming out" . does this mean when it should be pumping out at the end , or not filling in the beginning
Most dishwashers have a water inlet valve just like a washing machine ( only single solenoid) if this has failed, it wont fill.
If nothing is pumping out at he end it may mean your pump is plugged with something.
Please post back and let us know which it is.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 01-17-05, 01:20 PM
chadl
Visiting Guest
I believe I fixed the problem, How I did this, I have no idea.

I took apart the lower wash arm and the tower and this is where I noticed the water was sitting, but it would not shoot ou of the tower/arm.

I stirred a screw driver in there and didnt really hit much.

I jerked the motor relay and the water inlet valve.

After all this, it just decided to start shooting the water out- much to my satisfaction.

Something might have been clogging the pump, I'm not sure.

Thanks fore replying nomind

Old 01-17-05, 09:26 PM
hi chadl,
- glad to hear you got it running again. Plugged pumps are common. thanks for posting to let us know.

Old 01-19-05, 08:05 AM
chadl
Visiting Guest
i hate those that do the disappearing act. Thanks for taking your time to post and help me.

Old 01-19-05, 09:34 AM
-hey, -tell me about disappearing acts ! - I get that all the time on my Aerostar work van. Lights tell me everythings going haywire and when I investigate there's never a problem !!

Old 10-15-08, 12:56 PM
B
Same problem, water only coming out slowly, GE Potscrubber

Hi, i'm having a similar problem as the one mentioned above. The water is coming out in the dishwasher, but it is only very little. I'm assuming either the water level meter is stuck, or the motor relay or water inlet valve not working well.

This is the first time that I open my dishwasher, so any help appreciated on actually how to find/recognize/diagnose the parts that could be stuck/broken.

I have a GE Potscrubber dishwasher.

Thanks
Bernardo

Old 10-15-08, 04:30 PM
E
Originally Posted by bzamora69 View Post
This is the first time that I open my dishwasher,..........
Do you mean you have never had it in operation before?

In order of easiest to check, I would first make sure the shut-off valve, likely under you kitchen sink, is wide open.

If it is, probably the next easiest thing to test is to take off the bottom toe-kick panel and test for volts at the fill valve solenoid when it is supposed to be calling for water (120 volts).

If the first 2 are working, then you are going to have to see if water is getting through the pipe. Could be a dislodged washer in the valve under the sink, or a cloggd screen at the fill valve. I would not bet against the first cause either, especially if anyone has opened or closed that valve hard, under the sink.

I doubt it is the float switch inside the tub, with an empty tub. If say it were stuck up in the air, it should be opening the contact, not allowing the fill valve to let water in.

Old 10-19-08, 10:02 AM
H
Im having a similar problem, and trying to figure out what is going on by my self. I know this may be a rookie question. But which way do you turn the valves to open them ? to the left or right?

I had to mess with mine, because I broke my moen facucet and tried to turn them off but dont know what i did. Im thinking there could be buildup in the tubing too, we have had multiple problems with that in our shower and our facucet head.

One more question, if i want to check for buildup of a washer that may have slid in the tube. How do i go about doing that? i assume turn off the water, and then disconnect the hose to check for build up? anything else i should do?

Last edited by handy girl 25; 10-19-08 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
Old 11-17-08, 07:21 PM
E
GE potscrubber 900

I am having the same kind of problem - no water comes out although I can hear the motor. My problem is I do not know how to detach the lower arm. I have tried several things - no luck. Any ideas???

Old 11-18-08, 04:08 PM
E
edellen,

Does water fill the inside of the the dishwasher first?

Old 11-21-08, 09:00 AM
E
GE potscrubber 900

no water at all. I tried tapping the solenoid but it didn't help. The solenoid will go up and down if I push it with my finger but not by itself when the DW is turned on.

Old 11-21-08, 03:26 PM
E
That is your underlying problem then, as to why water is not spraying. You need water to get into the sump, for the unit to pump and spray.

Check to see if 120v is making it's way to the solenoid when it calls for water.

Then if need be, shut off the main water shut off valve to the dishwasher, and then disconnect the water line from the fill valve, and check the inlet of the fill-valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: