Maytag Performa isn't Performing

Old 02-12-05, 01:31 PM
Need Help!!
Visiting Guest
Maytag Performa isn't Performing

I bought into those Maytag "bored repairman" commericials and bought both a Maytag Performa dishwasher and washer about two years ago. I've had nothing but problems the minute the warranties expired. I am writing about my dishwasher that quit a couple days ago, but couldn't find a thread, so apologize if this is a redundant question. I took the bottom access cover off, so I could check for leaks and didn't find one. So, I removed the water manually since it wouldn't drain and it worked just fine. The dishes came out perfectly. So, I put the cover back on and now it fills, but immediately pumps the water back out. Can you tell me where to look for the underlying problem?

Thanks....Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-05, 07:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Debbie, and welcome toDIY Forums.
- It sounds as if your drain valve or drain solenoid is acting up. This will be a solenoid with two wires and often aspring on the side of it . Should be mounted on top of the drain pipe near the motor. If you can't locate it, post model # and we'll find it.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-13-05, 01:02 PM
Need Help!!
Visiting Guest
It's a jungle in there to me, so here's my model #

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the right part, so there are two model numbers shown at the top of the user's guide of: PDB1100 or PDB 2430. If the right one is shown somewhere on the d/w, just let me know where to find it and thanks for your reply!!

Old 02-13-05, 08:40 PM
Hi Debbie-
- sorry, neither of those numbers seems to work. The mfg. label is generally somewhere inside the washer's doorframe in Maytag.
To find the right part you need to pull it out, with power off. Look for the drain line ( very obvious) and follow it to where it enters the pump. The drain valve and/or solenoid will be right there

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-16-05, 09:35 AM
Need Help!!
Visiting Guest
I'm really confused now

My son took a look for me, and instantly noticed something odd. There is a small, solid metal cylinder hanging down. Just below it lies an unknown (to us) dishwasher part where that cylinder will fit perfectly. There is a metal bracket at the top of the cylinder that will hook into a spring just above it, but of course, none of that is fastened. This cylinder is slightly rusted and neither one of us are sure exactly what we're looking at & have no idea of this is the solenoid are not. I hope you will be able to go here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y/IMG_8081.jpg

and see what I'm trying to explain. Maybe after taking a look at that photo, you can help me again.

Old 02-17-05, 07:43 PM
Hi Debbie
- sorry for the delay, I've been swamped.
That is indeed the drain valve solenoid that has fallen apart. You need to remove the whole unit and replace it . Should cure the problem.

Do itRight - Do it once.

Old 02-21-05, 02:03 PM
Need Help!!
Visiting Guest
Solenoid has arrived.

Hello again,
I had that solenoid part delivered FedEx express, but since we had heard some odd rattling noises if it were turned on, my son pulled the entire d/w out and removed the lower pump case assembly. Once inside, there were parts that were cracked and or missing. I think from looking at the online motor part pictures, there is an 'e' clip we may need and another part that may have cracked......

I know it's hard to understand what I'm trying to say here; because you can't see what we;re looking at, but can you give any further advice based upon what I've just said here?

We went ahead and installed everything and started it. It filled, washed, and then as soon as that solenoid clicked, that metal part popped out and was left dangling again. Neither one of us knows why or what is causing this new part to malfunction. I know this is a disconbobulated note, but I'm trying my best to make some sense out of this whole thing.

HELP!!

Last edited by Need Help!!; 02-21-05 at 03:00 PM. Reason: addition to note