Ceramic electric cook top

Old 02-14-05, 06:32 PM
notech
Visiting Guest
Ceramic electric cook top

Recently purchased an electric cook top that was manufactured in Canada.
My question is the appliance hook up wires look to be aluminum rather than copper. My house is wired with 10 ga. copper. Will this difference in wireing create a problem for me. Currently have a 3 wire, one being ground 240 v AC
source.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi notech,
- I am not a ticketed Residential Electrician, but I can't see any problem with going ahead and doing it.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-21-05, 10:27 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have seen a lot of range circuits wired with AL. (The cable from the breaker panel to the back of the range.) It is because for larger conductors and long runs AL is cheaper, even though it is usually a size or two larger than the equivalent copper conductor.

I think the only things you need to be sure of are (a) that the wire guage you use is correct for the range circuit breaker, and (b) that the terminal block where copper meets aluminum is "AL/CU listed".

The nameplate, or the mfr's literature, should have a circuit breaker size recommendation. Sometimes, but not always, they list the conductor size. If you need help with either of these things write back, we'll look it up.

Hope that helps.

Juice