Washing Machine Is Tearing Clothes

Old 02-15-05, 04:48 PM
NDL
Visiting Guest
Washing Machine Is Tearing Clothes

My Maytag washing machine is creating small holes in various articles of clothing (curiously, all near the upper edge of jean pockets). The machine is one of their better models, and is six months old. Anyone have any ideas, as to what the problem can be?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-05, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Its strange that the holes are ALL in the same location. Are you sure that its not from something you carry in your pockets? Something you lean up against that may have a rough edge? Look for the cause in everyday things you do while wearing the jeans.

You can check the drum of the washer and dryer to see if you can find an object or rough area. The most notorious object causing noise and holes in clothing is the metal or plastic stay from underwire bras. Run your hands around the drum and see if you can find the culprit. While this is a possible reason for the holes, they would be all over and not in just one area. I suspect the holes are being caused by something unrelated to the machines.

Good luck with your search

Old 02-16-05, 10:37 AM
NDL
Visiting Guest
Majakdragon, thanks for your fast and helpful reply. While what you're saying makes plenty of sense, since I don't carry anything in my back pockets, I am assuming that it must be something else. The metal or plastic stay from underwire bras may very well be the culprit.

Thanks again, for all your help!

Old 02-16-05, 11:29 AM
Also check the car seat, sofa, chair..... Any where you sit. Does this problem affect only your clothes or are others washed with them and have this problem also? Also check the rivets on the jeans themselves. Are there sharp edges on the areas that are getting holes? These could be cutting the material when folding over and tumbling around in the washer and dryer. This is becomming a mystery as to what is causing the problem and I really want to find out what the ending is.

Please post back and let us know what you find.

Old 02-19-05, 09:25 AM
NDL
Visiting Guest
Majakdragon, again, I appreciate your help. I took a bit in writing back, as I wanted to go over everything thoroughly.

Last night, upon pulling a pair of jeans (just two weeks old), out of the washing machine, I noticed a fresh new hole. Notice that while the holes are always intersecting the rear pockets, the holes are only formed at the corner of the pocket - but never on the pocket itself.

I ran my hands around the lip of the washing machine, although I noticed nothing. I thoroughly went over my car seats, and chairs in the house, and found nothing. Underwires are not contributing to my problem either.

I gotta say, I am really stumped...

Old 02-19-05, 10:13 AM
I am stumped as well. Is this affecting any other clothing articles? If not it sounds like a defect in the material or construction of the jeans. If it was due to a physical or mechanical problem,it would affect anything you put into the washer. Also as the holes are in the same spot each time, it leads me to think its a defect in the material or the construction of the jeans themselves.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Please post back if and when you find out what is causing the problem.