Kenmore Dryer won't stop running

Old 02-16-05, 08:06 AM
Hfajz001
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dryer won't stop running

I have a Kenmore dryer (mod# 110.96589210) that is almost 10 years old. I noticed this week that the dryer will run through it's cycle that is selected, stop when timed out but then the timer moves through the stop period to the next cycle and will start back up. The heat seems to work properly throughout all this. The only way to stop the dryer right now is to open the door. My instinct tells me it's a bad timer. Could anyone confirm this for me or offer any other advice, Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-05, 10:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Hfajz001
- I would first test the timer motor. Switch off the power, and remove the console . The motor is fairly obvious on the timer, and usually has two black wires. Disconnect these and ohm the motor. It should be 2-3 K. if not, replace the motor as a start, though it may be the timer itself.

Do it Right -Do it once.

Old 02-17-05, 06:20 AM
Hfajz001
Visiting Guest
Thanks Nomind, I'll give that a try tonight. Just curious, if the timer motor seem to be moving the cycle dial ok, why check the motor?

Old 02-17-05, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Hfajz001,
- my thinking was that the motor may intermittently be sticking 'on' . These are quite cheap little motors and I'd hate to advise getting a timer if the cause was only a bad motor. A very similar motor powers many water filters and you'd be surprised how many of them get ditched when a simple motor replacement would have fixed them.

Do it Right - Do it once.