Icemaker Freezing Up

Old 02-16-05, 10:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Icemaker Freezing Up

Dear experts:
My icemaker is freezing up. The forks that push out the cubes get wet and ice forms on them which stops them from going through the cycle. At times the ice form on the down ward cycle and block the forks from going through the slots to push out the cubes. At other times, ice forms on the metal back plate that stops the forks from raising up to start another cycle. I also noticed that occasionally the forks would push the cubes up fare enough that some would fall into the ice cube holder, yet some would ice up and not fall.
Equipment: Whirlpool 25 SS Md# D46 M31542R

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 07:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Hi tradesmn,
- I'm no expert on icemakers, but I would check the positioning of the operating arm or the on/off switch at the end of it. It may be stuck 'on.'

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-19-05, 03:12 PM
K
I have been waiting for an expert to answer. Believe me it it not me, but I might be able to give you some hints.

If it happens occassionaly, as it does with mine, it could be because the frezzer compartment is not cold enough ( in our case because the kids keep getting into it) and it allows the ice in the make to melt just enough and refreeze so that the little arms can not push them out. In this case I manually break off the ice and if that does not work, you could disconnect the whole unit and let it completely thaw out and turn it back one when you have all of the water out.

There is a heater wire under the unit that turns on briefly during the cycle to just melt the cubes enought that the little arms can push them out of the maker and into the bucket. Perhaps that is not working. Or could be the gear box that turns the arms.