Amana dishwasher drain leak

Old 02-17-05, 05:09 PM
JonH229
Visiting Guest
Amana dishwasher drain leak

I have an Amana DU5000-48 (mfg# P1173803W), approx. 12 yrs. old, installed under the counter. It is leaking where the drain valve arm passes through the body and connects to the solenoid. It leaks only after the cycle ends and the valve is activated by the solenoid. The water drips from the arm down the solenoid mounting bracket and solenoid body.

It looks like like the drain assembly can be removed from the sump but I don't know if there is room to remove it from underneath the dishwasher.

Can the packing be replaced or must I replace the entire drain assembly? If the packing or seal can be replaced, is there a part number? Is there a place on the web where I can find part numbers or an exploded diagram?

Is it usual for a dishwasher to be able to slide out from under a counter for maintenance or is it likely to be permanently installed?

Assuming that I can slide out the dishwasher, is there anything else that I should replace or look for at the same time as long as it is pulled out?

Thanks, Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-05, 08:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi JonH229,
- to start with, NO dishwashers are permanently installed, or you could never repair them . In this case it HAS to come out and be laid on it's back to properly repair. Switch OFF breaker first !
I can't find out if you need the whole drain assy. or not , as the part#'s I have access to only go back 10 yrs. I doubt very much that you or I will find a part diagram for one this age. It may be necessary to remove the drain assy. the easiest and most practical way and take it to the appliance store.

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 02-18-05, 12:12 PM
JonH229
Visiting Guest
OK, thanks. I'll go that route.

Fraser Valley! It's on my long list of places that I have to see someday.

Jon

Old 02-21-05, 09:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Jon,
- it's a great place, canoeing, bicycling, beaches and skiing almost all year round. (except in Dec- Jan when rain is terrible) .
PM me before you come , and I'll introduce you to our great local beer. (no kidding, 'Backwoods Ale', Canada's best is made here.

Do it Right - Do it once.