Wanted: Level Switch Shut off for Laundry Sink

Old 02-18-05, 02:44 PM
Jeff Mal
Visiting Guest
Wanted: Level Switch Shut off for Laundry Sink

I found one doing a google search about 3 months ago, can't find it again. There are similar products but here is what I'm looking for:

A box that plugs into your AC outlet, then your washer plugs into the box.
There is a cord that runs to a float switch that is placed in your laundry sink.

When the water level gets too high the float switch is activated and it cuts power to the washer. Nice device, was about $80, wish I had bookmarked or printed out the page.

There are similar products that are place on the floor, that will shut off the water. Those won't protect you against overflow in a sink that has no overflow pipe.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-05, 03:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Jeff Mal, Welcome to the DIY Forums.
Not familiar with the switch you are referring to but lets go to the problem rather than the solution.
When you say "laundry sink" I think of a deep sink that should not have a problem with a washing machine. Is the drain clogged? Slow?
If so, I would try a product called Drain Care. It is an enzyme drain cleaner that clings to the clog and "eats" it. Unless it is a tree root problem. It costs about $8 at Home centers, Ace, Walmart and even some supermarkets. Takes overnight and may require more than one treatment but DOES work. Safe for septic systems also.
Another thing that may prevent future problems is tying a knee-high stocking over the end of the washer discharge hose. This will catch lint that clogs drains. Cheap at the Dollar store. Throw away when full. Good luck.

Old 02-18-05, 04:55 PM
Jeff Mal
Visiting Guest
The problem is:

Smaller sink, and under-counter washer +

Not paying attention to the drain having alot of dog-hair on it.

Really want to locate that switch, I do appreciate your input though.

Old 02-18-05, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Possibl;y this is what your looking for?

http://amos.shop.com/amos/cc/main/cc.../adtg/02160541

Old 02-18-05, 07:06 PM
Jeff Mal
Visiting Guest
That's very close. That particular item seems to be dependant on the level in the washer. I want to monitor the level in the sink. Same idea though...cut off switch to the power. I may be able to adapt it to the sink, but would prefer to find the orginal item, which was a float

Thanks for this idea though, I might give it a shot if I can't come up with the other one.