Question about clothes dryer/ Grease?

Old 02-25-05, 10:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Question about clothes dryer/ Grease?

Hi, I recently took my dryer apart to try and find the source of its squeeking, well when i finally took the drum out I noticed that there was a piece of rectangular cloth that had turned black from heat with staple holes in it laying in the bottom of the dryer housing. After looking at it I found that it used to be stapled to the inside of the dryer just above the heating coil. Well on my dryer the back of the drum doesn't sit on rollers, instead it connects using a ball and cup joint. I think that when the cloth fell from where it was stapled it fell and got lodged in the ball and cup joint and was causing it to squeek, because there was all kinds of little fabric shavings in the joint. Obviously this gummed the grease all up and I had to clean it all up. What I am wondering is when I put it back togethor, is it OK to use White lithium grease? And what was that piece of cloth for? Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-05, 11:23 PM
K
Lithium grease is what I'd use but I'm no expert.

That cloth, I think, is part of the felt gasket. It's to stop lint from getting inside the cabinet, and may act as a supplimental bearing for the drum (takes pressure off the ball-and-cup, for example). These things roast over the element, and often crumble or fall off. You might want to check if poor venting is making the element area get too hot.

The fabric in the bearing was more likely from your laundry.

Old 02-26-05, 09:25 AM
Im with Kobuchi
I used to try to get the dryer rebuilt at the time you replace the drum bearing.
Rebuild the dryer takes drum seals drum bearings and drive belt and idler pulley.

Have a nice day