Kenmore 80 Series Dryer - Won't Run

Old 02-26-05, 08:25 PM
DRAC
Visiting Guest
Kenmore 80 Series Dryer - Won't Run

I hit the start button and I hear a electrical buzz, but nothing happens. After I hit the start button several times the electrical buzz stops, until I let it sit for a while. Please help. Thanks,

Old 02-27-05, 04:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Location: langley, in sunny fraser valley, bc , near vancouver
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi DRAC,
-try checking the door switch first, if that's not it, look for a start relay .

Do it Right - Do it once.

Old 03-03-05, 08:12 PM
DRAC
Visiting Guest
Start Relay

I'm not sure what a start relay is, but I will look in the manual. If you could explain it would be appreciated.

Old 03-04-05, 12:54 AM
Hi drac,
- if you have a manual that's a great help. The start relay should be immediately behind the start button. Don't forget the door switch , these are a pain on all dryers.

Do it Right - do it once.

Old 03-06-05, 06:39 AM
DRAC
Visiting Guest
Motor sticks

Hello,

I disassembled the dryer and found that the motor was stuck. I removed all of the lint from the dryer cabinet and motor assembly. I then turn the motor by hand and it started to work. I used WD-40 to try and lubricate moving parts. The dryer worked for about and hour than the motor stuck again. I let the dryer cool down for about an hour and it started to work again. It seems that the motor sticks once it gets hot.

I replaced the heating element on this dryer about 3 weeks ago, 2-8-05. Could the heat from the new element cause the motor to overheat? Or could I have the element wired incorrectly causing this to happen?

I check with the local Sears Service/Parts department. The do have a substitute motor, part # 279827, for the original motor parrt # 3395652 for $99.99.

With the heating element costing 44.00 and the motor @ 99.99 the repaires are getting expensive.

Any ideas?

Old 03-06-05, 06:40 PM
Hi Drac,
-I believe the only way you can do this properly is to actually take the motor apart and grease the bushings at each end. It may not be possible on this kind of motor because of casing construction. However the motor possibly needs a 'boost' from a start relay as I suggested in the first post.

Do it Right - do it once

Old 03-08-05, 09:12 AM
Artemis920
Visiting Guest
Unhappy I've got the same sticky problem

Hi DRAC,

I've got the same problem with my Kenmore. I was able to get it running for about an hour by manually turning the drum but I can't seem to find the way in to access the motor, etc. And I don't have a manual. I can't seem to get the top/front off and the back is sealed - can you share the access secret?

Thanks

Old 03-08-05, 09:59 AM
podgie
Visiting Guest
Smile dryer

Remember many dryers have 2 fuses. That is how i got a good dryer free. Owner threw it out after they were told how much repair man wanted. Was simply a fuse in there panel. They were not happy when new dryer did same thing. They returned it to dealer who said nothing wrong with it.But i had the old dryer by then

Old 03-08-05, 06:31 PM
DRAC
Visiting Guest
Access to motor

Originally Posted by Artemis920
Hi DRAC,

I've got the same problem with my Kenmore. I was able to get it running for about an hour by manually turning the drum but I can't seem to find the way in to access the motor, etc. And I don't have a manual. I can't seem to get the top/front off and the back is sealed - can you share the access secret?

Thanks
There are two clamps holding the top front of dryer. Take a flat head screw driver and slide under the top front corner and pop loose. Do the same for other corner. You can then left the front end of top up.

There are two metal clamps holding top back of dryer. Once you left the top front the back clamps are easily removed. The top opens like a lid. Make sure you support the top, because of wire connections to controls.

Now you have acces to dryer from topside. There are two screws on the inside at each corner. These screws hold the door panel. Unscrew both and remove door panel by lefting up from bottom. You have to left up because the door panel sets on two clips. Don't forget to unhook electrical plug to door switch before removing door panel.

You have full access to your drum. To get to the motor slide drum belt from drum and remove drum.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: