Whirlpool washing machine

Old 03-02-05, 01:18 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool washing machine

I recently purchased a used whirlpool washing machine that was in fairly decent shape. After a few short usages, the machine stopped spinning. I had a repair guy come out and he replaced some plastic piece which according to him is designed to break to prevent the machine from blowing out the motor. His advice was not to overload it.

So, everyone was very careful about overloading the machine and within a month this piece broke again. He repaired it free of charge since it was under warranty, but said it was overloading and he'd charge us if it happened again. Well, a few months later, it breaks, again!

I've talked this over with someone else, and he said that the guy is BSing me. We've been quite careful with what we've put in the machine as to not overload it. What we were told is that there is probably something else wrong that has not been fixed which is causing this piece to break. I would think that is accurate given that if he is correct, whirlpool would no longer be in business because of a crappy product.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-05, 01:51 PM
Sounds like you have a coupling that keeps breaking. They can be a very tight fit on the motor shafts. May be getting cracked? Sounds like something is getting hot or binding and weakening the coupler. It is designed to break instead of letting more damge occur. Hope you do not have tranny problems. may be a brake . look real good and see if anything is binding the basket. Piece of clothing between the baskets maybe. I would also check the pump for being stuck. They have a trange way of getting things in them. Socks, lint, soap,etc.. But, I really think the problem is from the motor forward.

Old 03-03-05, 06:03 AM
N
I was looking at it last night, apparently it is still spinning, but very slow and it isn't draining. So I'm guessing there's something clogged in the pump. Am I right? Anyways, is this something that would cause this coupler to break? I'm wondering b/c this would be the third time a repairman has come out, and to be quite honest I would think he could have fixed this the first of the second time...