GE Clothes Washer Only Hums, No Movement

Old 03-31-05, 10:52 AM
Gregg64
Visiting Guest
GE Clothes Washer Only Hums, No Movement

Regarding GE washing machine, model WWSR3090T8WW, with a plastic tub. I am unsure of the age, but guess 5 to 7 years old.

Several months ago the machine stopped spinning and agitating on the delicate mode - after making a very loud bang (but we’ve continued to use it on the regular wash mode). Now the machine will NOT spin or agitate. It fills and drains well. When switched on it only makes an electronic hum noise (from the speed selector switch), but no movement.

I can manually turn the motor pulley, which moves the transmission housing. Also, I have removed the agitator and the air bell coupling is fine. The transmission shaft is rusty.

Could it be the start relay, agitator hub, clutch…? Please help me determine the problem.

Your assistance is appreciated!!
Gregg

Last edited by Gregg64; 03-31-05 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-31-05, 05:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
REMOVE THE BELT TURN ON DOES THE MOTOR WORK.. (NOT SURE IF WHEN YOU SAY IT HUMS AS IF ITS TURNING OR NOT) IF NOT MOST LIKELY THE MOTOR ... RUNS AROUND $200.00

Old 03-31-05, 07:30 PM
Gregg64
Visiting Guest
GE Washer Hums, but No Movement

I've removed the belt & pulley, powered on the machine, and the motor rotates! The humming noise is coming from the speed selector switch on the control panel.

Thank you

Last edited by Gregg64; 03-31-05 at 08:09 PM. Reason: correction
Old 04-01-05, 05:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
GREGG USE THE WIRE DIAGRAM IN THE TOP CONSOLE.. IT SHOULD TELL YOU HOW TO TEST THE SWITCH FOR CONTINU IN EACH SETTING... MOST LIKELY THE SELECTOR SWITCH

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: