GE side by side freezing up

Old 03-31-05, 06:00 PM
GE side by side freezing up

Hello,

I have a GE side by side that is about 3 and half years old. Bought brand new when we moved into our house. About 3 weeks ago I noticed the freezer was not getting as cold as it should. I removed all items and noticed the inside back part of the freezer was frozen up. I turned off the freezer and essentially let it defrost. After several hours and lots of water clean up it appeared to have "defrosted". So I turned it back on and made sure it worked. Place a gel ice pack in there to make sure it froze and it did. i let it run a few days before I placed anything abck in it. Then about a week ago I noticed that the refrigerator side seemed to be a little warmer than normal but everything was still okay inside. Then I came home tonight and everything in the freezer had thawned and the inside back of the freezer was frozen up again & the refrigerator side seem cool at best.

Could this be something simple to fix or check before I call in someone - we live about 30 minutes from the nearest repair place.

Here is the model number on my unit:

GSS22UFMB WW

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

RM

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-05, 01:58 AM
RM,

I just fixed my GE side-by-side this week, that was having the same problems that you are having. Mine was a GFH27PRSAWW. I replaced the defrost timer which is behind the lamp cover in the refridgerator side near the top. Then I found that I also had to replace the defrost heaters that are behind the rear wall of the freezer section.

If you have a meter, you can unplug the heater leads and check for continuity across the heater. My heaters were wire coils enclosed in glass tubes, so I could see the broken wire.

I did a search for the parts for your unit and found the heater listed, but didn't see a listing for the defrost timer. Most units have defrost timers, but perhaps yours doesn't. I had excellent delivery from pcappliancerepair that is listed in one of the above "sticky" threads with the topic Electronic Parts Shopping Centers.

If you have more questions, let me know. I found the info to fix mine on this site, and now maybe I can help you with yours

Nashcat

Old 04-06-05, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the info nashcat.

I pulled off the back panel inside the freezer side of the unit and found the defroster. I unhooked it an found that it was charged (black) and that the coil had broken. So I found a place with parts and got the part replaced last night.

Couple more questions now. The freezer coils - how much frost up is normal on them. Also what should the normal temp be for the refrig side?

Thanks.

RM

Old 04-07-05, 12:44 AM
RM,
I'm glad that you found your problem. My coils had about 1/2" of frost when I found my problem, and it quit cooling. When I replaced my heaters, I let it defrost completely before turning it back on. I think that my timer cycles about every 6 hours, so it wouldn't have time to build up much, if any, frost during that time.

Quote from the owners manual on temperature...." Place a container of milk on the top shelf. Check it a day later. If the mild is too warm or too cold, adjust the temperature controls."

The directions on the freezer side are about the same, only use ice cream, instead of milk. If it's too hard or too soft, adjust.....

I just checked mine, and it is at 36F......I like my milk cold.

Nashcat