Ice Maker for Electic Refrigerator

Old 04-28-05, 12:11 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice Maker for Electic Refrigerator

My ice maker has stopped working. It has temporarily stopped in the past but then would start makeing ice. This time, its not worked in a month at least. I have tried lifting the arm, changing the ice size setting, everything I can think of. Any other ideas for me to try?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-05, 06:53 AM
R
Hi bibbus,

Could be one of many reasons your icemaker stopped working. It may not be getting water. The water supply to the refrigerator is not there for some reason, the water inlet valve is not functioning, or the tube going through the wall of the box is blocked with ice. If it is the latter, it needs to be addressed very soon. If it is blocked, it is very common for water pressure to blow the tube connection off in back of the refrigerator. Over a very short period of time, if this happens, your floors could be ruined.

Another common reason is that the temperature in the freezer isn't cold enough. The icemaking cycle is triggered by temperature. Have you changed the setting recently? Put a known good thermometer in the freezer and check it. Just because it may be below 32 is not good enough. It should get down into the single digits, I believe.

Please observe whether the icemaker cycles or not and post back. If is cycles, but doesn't fill, you have a supply problem. If it doesn't cycle, it could be a temperature problem.

Good luck,

Old 04-28-05, 12:40 PM
B
Thank you so much. How will I know if it cycles or not?

Old 05-02-05, 01:29 AM
R
hi bibbus,

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, but believe it or not, I didn't have access to the internet this weekend.

If you can't just "catch it in the act" of cycling, then fill the tray with water and give it a few hours. Don't over fill. In fact, as a test, you really don't care if the cubes are a little small. It should spit out ice in a couple of hours or so, and you'll know that it is a fill problem. If it doesn't, then either your freezer temperature is too high, or something else is wrong with your icemaker.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-05, 02:18 AM
B
I checked the termperature and it was at 18 degrees F. I eyeballed the ice maker which is not very accessible. It is high up in the freezer compartment. I want to make sure I understand what you are suggesting. Are you saying manually take water and pour it into the little slots where the ice should be?

Old 05-02-05, 06:49 AM
R
Yep, that's where you put it. It may be tricky trying to do it, but I've found that one of those things (I can't remember what they are called) that you use to baste meat with works well...a long cylinder with a squeeze bulb on the end.

By the way, I believe 18 degrees may be borderline warm for a frost-free freezer. That may be you problem. I've forgotten the temperature at which the typical icemaker will cycle. Maybe some else can help us out here.

At any rate, the water test will help us figure this one out.

Old 05-03-05, 03:24 PM
coffeequeen156
Visiting Guest
My icemaker isn't working either...

and it doesn't seem to be the temp. I hope it's okay for me to jump in here. I tried the suggestions you gave to bibbus, but to no avail. There is ice in our maker, and the water dispenser works, so I'm assuming the feed and temp are fine, but the ice make just isn't dumping out the ice. Any suggestions sure would be appreciated! Thanks so much!
Laurie

Old 05-04-05, 05:29 AM
R
Hey coffeequeen156,

No problem jumping in. Now for your problem. Have you actually measured the temperature in your freezer? The reason I'm asking is that if you have ice in the tray and it is not dumping, temperature could still be your problem. Just because it makes ice doesn't mean that it is necessarily getting cold enough. Even with 30 deg., for example, ice will form, but that wouldn't be anywhere near cold enough to trip the icemaker cycle. If my memory serves me correctly, I think the sensor actually requires temperatures around 10 def. Someone, please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong. It has been a while since I worked on these things on a regular basis.

By the way, on most, if not all refrigerators that I'm aware of, the cold water dispenser and icemaker each have their own valves and controls. However, since you have ice in your icemaker, it would indicate to me that you may indeed have a temperature problem, or possibly a bad sensor. I would check the temperature first.

Has the icemaker been working and just quit, or has it never worked?

Post back and let us know what you find.

Old 05-04-05, 07:57 PM
scoash
Visiting Guest
The easiest way to check proper freezer temp. is to feel the ice cream and juice. If it's rock hard it's too cold. Mushy then too warm. Somewhere in between then you're ok. The ideal temp. should be 0-5F, but definately less than 10F. If the fill tube to the IM isn't plugged with ice remove the front cover of the ice maker by prying from the bottom with a quarter. There are 2 common types of IM's for most modern refs. If there's brown plastic under the cover there will be letters and holes. You can make a jumper wire by stripping both ends of an insulated 3" wire about 3/4". Bend it so you can insert one end in the 'T' hole and the other in the 'H' hole. This bypasses the IM's thermostat. It should start to cycle, eject the ice, then fill with water just before shutting off. Remove the wire once the IM can continue on its own. If it does all that ok and the freezer temp. is ok then the thermostat in the IM is bad.
If there is metal and a large and small plastic gear under the cover then you need to turn the small gear counterclockwise with a small tipped screwdriver until it starts working on its own. Sometimes these type of IM's have a broken screw mount beneath the metal cover. Remove the three screws to look inside, but it can be a little tricky getting it back together.

Old 05-05-05, 06:42 AM
coffeequeen156
Visiting Guest
Randy and Scoash, thank you so much for your kind replies. I'm printing them off and will get right to investigating this when I get home from work tonight. It has been working fine for about 6 or 7 years now, and it may even be that with the warmer weather, we are opening the freezer more often and raising the temp. Wouldn't it be nice if the fix is that easy. Again, thanks so much for responding so quickly and I will keep you posted!