GE Electric Dryer Making grinding noise

Old 04-29-05, 05:11 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Electric Dryer Making grinding noise

My GE Electric Dryer just started making a grinding noise. Everything seems to be working fine. Dryer rotates. It produces heat. The only thing is that it is making the grinding noise. I can hear this noise if I rotate the drum by and counter clock.

Hardish

Last edited by tulihk; 04-29-05 at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-05, 12:02 PM
THERE MAY BE SOMETHING CAUGHT BETWEEN DRUM AND FRONT BEARING GLIDE/SEAL AREA OR THE BEARING/GLIDES ARE WORN AND DRUM IS RIDING ON THE PLASTIC HOUSING..... TO CHECK... UNPLUG DRYER... OPEN FT DOOR THERE ARE 2 SCREWS AT TOP OF RONT PANEL WHERE DOOR SEATS... LIFT UP TOP AND INSIDE FRONT ON TOP ARE 2 MORE SCREWS REMOVE THEM.. HOLD DRUM UP SLIGHTLY AND LEAN FRONT PANEL FOWARD.. YOU CAN SEE THE FOUR GLIDES USUALLY 2 WHITE AND 2 GREEN IF WORN REPLACE ALL 4 IF WORN THRU INTO THE PLACTIC HOUSING REPLACE IT WIRH 4 GLIDES...

Old 04-29-05, 02:03 PM
I followed your instructions and located the 4 glides. There are two Black and Two White. Top left and right are black and made of rubber. The white ones are plastic. One of the top glide has a crack and appears to be worn out. I will replace it tomorrow. Also found that a lot of lint had build up inside. This will give me a chance to clean it good.

Thanks for your quick response.

Old 04-30-05, 11:17 AM
While In There Pull Drum Out And Replace Rear Drum Bearing They Wear Out Too... That Is While Your In It

Old 05-01-05, 01:01 AM
Further look into the Dryer Grinding Problem

I replace the glides, put it all back together and noise was still there. I have not removed the drum. I am not sure how to pull it out.

I opened it back again and noticed that the motor blades on lower left side are rubbing against the frame. That is where the noise is comming from. I can see the burn mark on the tips of the blades. I pulled the frame out a little, rotate the motor and noise had stopped. I put it all back together, plugged it in. It ran for about 1-2 minutes and then started making the noise again.

Old 05-01-05, 01:54 AM
Does Your Blower Wheel Wobble Or Have Alo Of Play In It.... Its Very Unusual For The Housing To Get Out F Position.... Whats You Model Number

Old 05-01-05, 03:16 AM
The model # DBB3300EA1WW. I did not notice a lot of play. When I turned the motor I notice it rubbing at the lower left side.

Old 05-01-05, 02:07 PM
CHECK THE BLOWER WHEEL BOLT TO ENSURE IT IS TIGHT... OTHERWISE YOU MAY HAVE TO REMOVE DRUM AND CHECK THE MOTOR BRACKETS AND SEE IF THEY CAME LOOSE OR A CLAMP CAME OFF.... HAVE NOT SEEN THIS HAPPEN BEFORE... BUT I GUESS ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE....

Old 05-02-05, 01:10 PM
Thanks again.

Since there is very little space between the drum and the motor, do you know if I have to take out any screws to get to the blower?

Old 05-03-05, 04:16 PM
Goto Sears.com And Click In Parts... Put In Your Model Number An Youll Get A Pic Of Whats There But Is Easier To Work Wiyh Drum Out... There Is A Rear Access Panel To Get To Belt , Just Remember How The Belt Goes Back On...

Old 05-03-05, 06:59 PM
I finaly repaired the dryer. All it was the blowerfan blade screwhad come loose. It was making noise when the motor was running.

I have one more question though. How to get to the drum belt? It appears to have some wear to it and may have to be replaced soon.

Hardish

Last edited by tulihk; 05-10-05 at 05:15 PM.