Kitchenaid wash machine wont spin

Old 04-30-05, 04:49 PM
Vgolfmaster
Visiting Guest
Kitchenaid wash machine wont spin

Hi, I have a Kitchenaid Sure Care Quiet Scrub wash machine, and it will not spin. It agitates fine, washes, drains, re-fills, and rinses, but simply will not spin. I have recently (aprox 2 months) replaced the 'clutch' fitting between the drum and the motor, and everything has been fine since that repair, but now I have no spin cycle. It stays powered on, and finishes the entire cycle, then shuts off like normal. Any suggestions? tia

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-05, 11:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
do you have the model number

Old 05-01-05, 09:36 AM
Vgolfmaster
Visiting Guest
I do !!!

Model#: KAWE578BAK1
ser#: CE1103395

Just another note, as well - I have tried all other cycles, and it is the same on all cycles options - it agitates / washes / drains, ect - but does not spin.

Sorry for the delay in answering, was at the laundrymat, lol

Old 05-01-05, 02:15 PM
Its Has To Be The Clutch Again If It Agits And Drains That All Thats Left... Something May Have Came Loose... The C Ring Or The Locking Ring.... If You Take Off Cabinet And Bypass Lid Switch Watch It And See If The Clutch Is Spinning.....

Old 05-01-05, 02:36 PM
Vgolfmaster
Visiting Guest
bambiblaster,

I'm a little confused, lol - if it agitates, does'nt that mean that the fitting I replaced several weeks ago is still working ok? I don't remember the name of the fitting, but basically it was a plastic fitting with 'fingers' and holes that fit together, connecting the motor to the drum. Correct me if I am wrong, but I'm under the assumption that if that was bad again, it would not agitate again as well. Or do you mean something totally different by clutch? thanks again!

Old 05-01-05, 02:48 PM
Vgolfmaster
Visiting Guest
bambiblaster,

one more thing, a friend of mine suggested that it might be in the electronics, but did'nt have time to elaborate - is it possible that the dial for selecting cycles could have gone bad, and does'nt 'switch' to spin any longer? I'm still confused, as you can tell, lol - it sounds like the motor is running when it gets to spin cycle, and it vibrates somewhat, but that could be the pump as well. Looks like I'm gonna have no choice but to open the cabinet and watch it go through a cycle.....

Old 05-01-05, 03:32 PM
This Is A Direct Drive Washer,,, What You Replaced Is Called A Coupler... Between The Trans And The Tub Is The Clutch Wich Turns The Basket While Releasing The Brake... If Its Draining Ok Meant The Motor Is Turning The Transmission Shaft If You Put It In Spin And See The Silver Clutch Drum Spining It May Not Be Releasing The Brake... Was There A Puddle Of Oil On Floor Below Trans.. Or Oil On Sides Of Cabinet... Clutch Could Also Be Slipping...

Old 05-01-05, 03:48 PM
Vgolfmaster
Visiting Guest
There was no oil anywhere, I have had it out of its normal place twice now over the last three days, and the sides are suprisingly clean, and no fluid on the grounds whatsoever. Just pulled it out again, and the only liquid at all was some water. Thre are two things that looked unusual to me, looking from the bottom:

1) one of the main bolts to the clutch was loose

2) there is a large rubber washer/o-ring, that I believe is in place, but it is around a metal housing and not attached to anything, and certainly not preventing any fluid leaks if it is a gaskey, as I can slide it by hand up and down. I'm starting to think this is my problem ,and it was'nt put back in place the first time - darnded if I know where it goes though!

Old 05-01-05, 04:27 PM
Vgolfmaster
Visiting Guest
Bambiblaster,

I got it !!!!! Started with the obvious, and after I saw the loose bolt, I checked it, and found that there were two that were loose, and 1 that was completely out, and laying under the washer. Got em all back in, and tightened, and its spinning again! Musta been loose enough to allow the clutch to 'bypass' it during spin cycle - sorry for troubling you, and thanks much for your time, it is MUCH appreciated! Back washing in WI !!!