Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

GE Refrigerator (TFX22CRDA BB) Not Cooling Enough. Food getting spoiled. Help!

GE Refrigerator (TFX22CRDA BB) Not Cooling Enough. Food getting spoiled. Help!

Old 05-08-05, 06:45 AM
Unhappy GE Refrigerator (TFX22CRDA BB) Not Cooling Enough. Food getting spoiled. Help!

Hi Guys,

The above refrigerator is not cooling enough. Its one of those side by side models where left is freezer. Food is getting spoiled. Icecreams on left do not get frozen and on right, water is not cooling enough and I had to throw a lot of vegetables as they got spoiled.
I could not find the model # on GE website. Therefore could not even find the manual. It came with the house (2001). Please help. I really need to fix it. Thanks.

Edit: Noticed one thing. The entire inside back wall on Freezer side was frozen. Could that be an issue as well?

Last edited by dcmetro; 05-08-05 at 07:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-05, 01:20 PM
Deforsted manually since frost was forming on freezer side. Not much help. Fridge is cooling on both sides but not adequte. Ice forming very slowly and fridge not very cold. am afraid all food on both sides shall go bad.

Old 05-08-05, 02:38 PM
scoash
Visiting Guest
The frost on the rear panel indicates a defrost problem. Most likely your defrost heater is bad. Remove the rear panel and look at the lower heater. It'll look blackened if it's bad.

Old 05-08-05, 06:43 PM
thanks a lot for your reply. I shall check that. However if its bad, how much does it cost to change that? And is it something that I can do or do I need to hire a professional? Thanks.

Old 05-08-05, 10:31 PM
scoash
Visiting Guest
If you're able to get the rear panel off and melt off the frost build up with a hair dryer you will be able to change the heater. The part comes with the 2 heaters and a defrost thermostat that just plugs in. The rest is pretty much self explanatory. Not sure what others charge but probably $50-$75.

Old 05-09-05, 01:48 AM
I had the same problem with my GE. I changed the heaters and everything was fine. From what I could find, your model only has one heater. You can get the heater, thermostat, and wiring harness for about $50. As scoash mentioned, if you get the rear panel out, everything should be easy access.

Nashcat

Old 05-09-05, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys. Called around this morning and u guys are right. I am being told the most prob, its the heater thats gone bad the estimate I am getting is around $150-$200, parts and labor.
Dont have the manual for GE with me since previous owner did not find it. New to this but you guys think I can change it myself? What is the best way to find out what is the right heater and other parts for my refrigerator? GE website does not pull up the manuals. You guys think that its something I can do it myself? Just as easy to pull out rear panels and unscrew and screw or is it as elaborate as to solder and stuff?
And yes finally, where should I buy the parts? Sooner is better to repair since food goes bad pretty fast.

Thanks.

Old 05-09-05, 12:55 PM
On the GE wed site you need to go to Parts & accessories first.
enter TFX22CRDABB
Go to freezer section
A drawing is in red (freezer section) click on that looks like item # 230

I would pull the plug.
remove the cover,
defrost the inside,( once defrosted it will work for some time).
put the cover back on and run the unit for a day or two, then replace the heater.

Always unplug the refrigerator before doing any thing!

When ever turning off a refrigerator wait 20 min before turning it back on.

Last edited by GWIZ; 05-09-05 at 02:42 PM. Reason: add X to part number
Old 05-09-05, 01:01 PM
Thanks GWIZ!

I shall do all that this evening when I get home. Quick Qs:

- Where can I get the parts locally (am in Sterling, VA) for a good price?

- Once I get them, how easy or hard is it to replace heater (or timer)? Never opened a referigerator before. Need special tools?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-05, 02:41 PM
Always unplug the refrigerator before doing any thing !

When ever turning off a refrigerator wait 20 min before turning it back on.
---------------------------------
TFX22CRDABB. I left out the X in the part number in my above post, this does work on the GE site.
------------------------
To remove the cover you may just need a Philips screw driver.
Special Tools?
I cant say for your GE.
you may need a 1/4" or 5/16" nut driver for removing the timer.
that's like a screw driver for removing 1/4" nuts or you can use a 1/4" socket wrench.
-----------
Parts ?
I go to a appliance parts store look in your phone book.
Just last year I replaced a GE timer, $10.00 for the timer same GE timer #. GE wanted $60.00
I'm not happy about GE's parts prices.

You will need to take the parts with you to the parts place.
An after market heater may require you to remove the old plug in solder it on to the new heater.

Talk to the people at the parts store, they should get you a heater with the plug.
Compare the plugs at the store.

Old 05-09-05, 04:47 PM
Kinda dumb Q. How do I get to the defrost heater. From front or back. If back, how do I remove the huge back cover. The bottom part had screws that I unscrewed but an confused on top part.

Old 05-09-05, 06:53 PM
Its not in the back.
its inside the freezer compartment. its a tight squeeze to get the cover out.
you open the freezer door take out all the food, remove the shelves.
The cover has maybe 6 screws. The cover is about 1ft x 3-1/2 ft, has vent holes at the lower part of the cover.
Dont cut your hand on the cover it may have sharp edges.

Try the GE web site they have a poor drawing that shows the heater located between the two cooling coils.

Old 05-09-05, 07:32 PM
oh oh. I spent last 3 hrs opening and now closing the refrigerator section!. So much for my first frig project! Maybe I shall do the freezer tomorrow. But I did try to blow some hot air into the freezer section from a small hole that looks into the freezer section.
But thanks for all your help GWIZ. You've been very patient with me. thanks.

Old 05-09-05, 08:12 PM
ok GWIZ, I got to it now. I am defrosting the coil right now. Its totally covered with ice right now. Man...feeling much better...am on the right trail now. Now where can I find the timer and the heater? I wish I could send you a picture and u could guide me. Ok, I just enabled my email. can you send me an email and I can send you the picture. if u'd rather not do that, then just let me know where to find the heater/timer and I shall keep reading this post. thanks.

Old 05-09-05, 08:36 PM
The heater is located between the two cooling coils.
I cant say on your GE, but look for a metal plate about 2" x 10" long two screws holding it in place
the heater will be on the other side of the plate.
may be a glass tube heater.
you should see the wires going down from the top to the heater between the two coils.

Old 05-09-05, 08:49 PM
ok, GWIZ, I just posted the picture here...of the freezer section...just finished cleaning the coils...now u can better see the inside and guide me...I think its the 3rd picture...now how can I be sure that its the heater..before I order the part?

http://photos.yahoo.com/saurab/

thanks again for all ur help.

Last edited by dcmetro; 05-09-05 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-09-05, 09:30 PM
That's It.
Take out the two screws and remove it.
The wires from the heaters plug in above the upper coil.
The wires do not unplug from the glass tubes.
The heaters come with the 2 ft of wire connected to the heaters.
The plugs are on the ends of the wires.

You may have a second one for the upper coil.
look for a second one.

Take pictures of how the wires are laced up to the top that way you know how to run the new ones.
Look how the spring clips are holding the heaters.
The heater looks bad.

Old 05-09-05, 09:41 PM
Since its almost 1 am here, im gonna continue tomorrow...

well..right now I have put everything together. Tried rotating the timer but the heater did not seem to come on. there was no heat on it. so put everything together...i hope the timer is now on non-defrost position (as there is any to make sure?) as I started everything and now I want to see if it starts working..even though for couple of days while the part comes in...

thanks for ur help and I shall post tomorrow....and shall also order the heater...just in case....

Old 05-09-05, 09:49 PM
You found the timer ?
The heater will not come on if the frig is warm.
keep turning the defrost timer the frig should start up.

Old 05-10-05, 01:25 AM
After searching the net I believe the wires plug directly into the heater.
An other words unplug the wires from the heater.
The net shows pictures of a heater without the wires.
You will need to make the call when you get the new heater.
----------------------------
The refrigerator uses a defrost temperature switch to shut off the heater, if the heater area gets to hot.
A safety thing if your timer stops working in the defrost mode. you don't want the heater to melt every thing.

Looks like that black round thing just above your upper coil (cant see it in your picture very well).
It should be attached to a metal plate or some thing like. to sense the heat from the heater. cant say 100% for your unit.

The freezer must be cold before the switch will supply power to the heater, timer in the defrost mode.

I had the defrost temperature switch go bad preventing the heaters from getting power, but that's rare.
As to my refrig the defrost heaters go bad every 7 years.

Old 05-10-05, 08:34 AM
The frig did start working (after defrosting the coils) and was freezing the left and cooling the right. Would not say 100% but 75%, which I can live with right now...is this expected?

If I am guessing it right, the timer is on the right side of the frig, on the refreigerator side. When I use a quarter to turn it, the frig does not switch off. nor does the heater come on. does the frig has to totally shut down? I tried that last nite. Now I am not sure whether its the timer or the heater, thats at fault. I shall also open it again and check on the wires thing. good call. timer seems to be harder to replace than the heater. has lot more steps to go thru and stuff to remove before I can get to it. Should I post the picture of it when I get home tonite? was planning to order the heater right now but seems I should hold on, right?

Last edited by dcmetro; 05-10-05 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-10-05, 12:42 PM
A small fan blows the cold air from the freezer into the refrigerator side.
This may take up to 24 hours to cool the refrigerator side on some models.
The cover (all covers) must be in place for the proper air flow to get into the refrigerator side.
---------------------------
The poor drawing from GE shows your timer behind the lower grill in front.

Most timers have a plastic type screw slot that can only be turned in one direction, but not the other direction.
It will have about 4 wires going to the timer that plugs into the timer.
Maybe yellow, white, black, orange wires going to a black plug.
one or two screws holding the timer.
Most timers.
you turn the timer the pump turns off (if running), the heater turns on then off.

If you do this, wait 15 min before turning the timer past the defrost mode to the run mode.
Not waiting over loads the pump motor, the freon needs time to drain out of the motor before re-starting.
Your heater looks black, I think its bad or it will go bad soon.
I would replace the heater. or you can take it out and look for a broken wire inside the glass tube.

If you want post a picture of the timer, heater.

Old 05-10-05, 12:53 PM
When I was rotating the timer with the quarter, there were two major clicks...none shut the refrig off. maybe the temp was not reached at that point. Maybe I can decrease the temp to all the way down and then rotate the timer. Maybe the frig shuts down then. Will that work? Should I be looking for one of the smaller clicks or one of the two big clicks? thanks. you've been very helpful. I shall try this tonite again. seems to me that timer is much more difficult to change that the heater. Too many things before timer. Just like the pictures before (of heater), I shall try and put pictures of the timer...thanks for all your help

Edit: You know I re-read your post and not sure I was turning the timer then. According to me, the timer is in top front of the frig section. It looked like the picture I saw on the web. Here ya go. Is this the timer? 4th picture on same website: http://photos.yahoo.com/saurab

Edit: This time when I was turning the timer, the frig did stop! Will take out the left side stuff and post again if the bulb comes on then. If it does stop and the heater does not come on, does that mean that heater is at fault?

Last edited by dcmetro; 05-10-05 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-10-05, 01:14 PM
most refrig,
The timer will only turns off the pump if running, not the refrig.
the first click turns the pump off and heater on, about an 1/8 (20 min maybe about) turn more the second click turns off the heater, turns the power back on for the pump.
Listen for the pump may be hard to hear.

Old 05-10-05, 01:26 PM
Cant say if thats the timer. maybe
Sounds like your turning the right thing
I would check the lower grill first look for the wires and plug going to the timer.

Old 05-10-05, 05:41 PM
ok, now checked it. when I rotate the timer, frig switches off but the heater does not come on. took the heater out..was black on cornors...ordered both heater and thermostat. Will replace heater first and see what happen...any other test for me?

Old 05-11-05, 06:42 PM
If you want try this,
Get a marker, and put a mark on the timer shaft that you have been turning.
IF you have a 6 hour timer the mark should make a full rotation every 6 hours.

Some times a timer will have a bad spot on a gear and stop in one position and no longer turn, in less you turn it past the bad spot, then it will run up to the bad spot again.

Old 05-20-05, 12:20 PM
GWIZ:

Finally I installed the heater and have been testing out the Refrigerator for the last 3 days now. Seems that its working great now. Wanted to thank you for the great support you offered. Without knowledge here, I would have been able to get so much knowledge and also be able to save a lot.

Thanks once again!