Rubber Stripping on Refrigerator falling off

Old 05-15-05, 08:43 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rubber Stripping on Refrigerator falling off

The rubber stripping in my 12-year old Amana refrigerator/freezer is coming undone....

Is there any recommended way to re-install the stripping? (i.e. any special type of glue or other material?).

Would you just recommend I re-attach the current stripping or do hardware stores sell replacement stripping?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-05, 10:57 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
12 year old amana

If by stripping you mean the door gasket then in most cases it gets replaced. If you roll back the gasket fromt the inside you will see(on most frig's) 1/4 screws. Try loosening them where the gasket is falling of and try re-inserting the gasket underneath the lip, then retighten the screws. If the gasket is falling apart then you will need to replace it. In which case you loosen(dont unscrew them entirely)all the screws pull out the old gasket and put on the new one. HOWEVER, the gaskets arent usually that cheap, and secondly you have to soften the gaskets before you put them on, either by soaking in hot water, putting them in a dryer for a short time, or using a hair dryer on those areas that gaps form. This job requires PATIENCE! Good luck.

Old 05-17-05, 11:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your recommendation did the trick.
I feel like an idiot for not noticing the 1/4" screws!
Thank you very much for your help!