Kenmore washer burnt smell

Old 05-16-05, 07:23 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore washer burnt smell

I have a Kenmore washer that is 4 years old and is used for about 3 loads of laundry each week. After running the last load last week I noticed a burnt smell in the laundry room. When I took out the load there was an inch of water and some soap left in the bottom of the washer. I ran a washer cycle with just clean water and it seemed fine.

I ran three loads yesterday. After taking out the third load I noticed a smell from the washer again. It was kind of burnt, almost a sulfur like smell this time. There was no water or soap remaining in the basin this time. The smell is not the water since I have city water and there is no smell from any other faucet. Any thoughts??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-05, 11:30 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
Kenmore burnt smell

First of all your machine doesnt have a belt. My best guess is that perhaps you were washing a heavy load such as towels or jeans. While the average Kenmore can usually handle this without a problem, occassionally I have seen where a unusually heavy load will stress the motor out to where it may begin to burn up. Try lightening the loads a bit a see if that helps. Other than that I do not know what may be causing the smell you describe since there are no belts or rubber under that machine.

Old 05-17-05, 01:46 AM
G
Cant say about your kenmore, but the kenmores that I worked on, seized a bearing in side the plastic water pump making the belt slip around the plastic pulley burning the belt.
Sometimes the bearing will spin melting the pump.

The pump was a plastic thing that the rubber hoses attach to with a shaft or pulley that turns.
I had a 4 hose pump you may have the 2 hose pump with a lever attached.
A common problem with plastic pumps.
If its the pump its not going to last long.

Old 05-17-05, 12:37 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
Kenmore washer

Let me say that GWIZ's reply is correct if have an OLD kenmore washing machine. The design 2000 which is basically the model that kenmore puts out today(actually its a whirlpool design) has been out about 20 years now. The question was about a 4 year old machine.

Old 05-18-05, 07:36 AM
H
Actually, both times this happened I was washing a load of towels. Though the load was not any heavier than usual. It has an extra large capacity tub and it was no more than 3/4 full. I'll try sticking with smaller loads to see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 05-18-05, 06:30 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You Hav A Direct Drive Which Has A Oupler Nd No Belt.... Try Staying In Th Same Room With The Washer The Burning Smell Sounds Lik The Motor May Be Getting Hot... After Your Normal Load Of Towels And You Smell The Odor.. Unplug It And Tip Back And Se If The Motor Is Really Hot To The Touch...