Hotpoint washer will pump, but not spin or agitate

Old 05-19-05, 09:32 AM
Katie51
Visiting Guest
Question Hotpoint washer will pump, but not spin or agitate

I know nothing about washing machines with the exception of what I have read today online. I own a hotpoint machine which is approximately 15 years old and yesterday it stopped spinning or agitating. It makes a strange buzzing noise for the first few seconds, and then simply does nothing. When I spin it manually it works, and it pumps fine. I am rather good with figuring things out, so once I know what the problem is I think I can fix it myself with relative ease. From what I have read it seems to be a broken coupler, but how do I know that it's not the belt, the clutch, the drive motor, etc.?

I would really appreciate any suggestions as soon as possible!

Thanks,
-Katie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-05, 05:23 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Tip It Back And Look At The Belt See If Its Loose Or Missing Few Pieces...

Old 05-20-05, 09:23 AM
Katie51
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Thanks Bambi!

I will do that this weekend when I have someone strong to help me. The damn thing is heavy!

In the research I have done, I am coming to the conclusion that it is likely the carbon brushes. I am going to have a look at those, but my main problem now is how to locate them. There is a panel on the back of the machine that appears to come off, and I think I need to go into there to get at the motor. I am having difficulty pulling the washer out from the wall though, as the hoses are attached and there is not much leeway. Perhaps I shouldn't be taking this job on, but I know that once I get in there I can fix it...it's just a matter of getting there. Don't forget that I've never done this before...I'm kind of afraid to screw it up.

Thanks again, and if anyone else has any suggestions please let me know!

-Katie

Old 05-20-05, 05:41 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
G.E. aka hotpoint

Katie,

WHOA! Before you start looking into brushes, couplers(hotpoint doesnt have one!) listen to what I tell you. Ok If the machine wont spin or agitate the very first place to look is the pump. From what you describe, it sounds as if a piece of clothing has become lodged in the pump(very very common on G.E.and hotpoint). So here is what you do. Take off the rear panel. Look down and to your left and you will see the motor. On top of the motor separated by a piece of webbing is the white plastic pump. There are two hoses coming from the pump. Take one off or both(if its full of water have a bucket nearby). MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG IT!! Take a hose off and then reach your finger inside the pump and feel around and if you feel some clothing, pull it out. Check both hoses. That is the most common problem from what you describe. IF you have to, get a pair of plyers and grab hold of the clothing. Let me know how it works out. jjones33@tampabay.rr.com

Mark