Whirlpool range won't bake or broil

Old 05-22-05, 02:39 PM
jade_1269
Visiting Guest
Question Whirlpool range won't bake or broil

Help! My range (only 1 1/2 yrs old) won't either bake or broil. The cooktop and the digital display seem to be working fine. We had a lightening storm with intermittent power outages. When I came home, the range display was locked. After unlocking it, I thought all was fine until I tried to use the oven. Initially, the Pre-heat feature worked..timed down, etc. But no heat! Then the fan stayed on. The only way to get the pre-heat setting to display is to hit the breaker power. That is also the only way the fan will shut off.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-05, 11:52 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
Whirlpool oven no bake or broil

Ok, before I help you , you must follow every word and instruction I say for your safety. Before you do anything else, UNPLUG YOUR RANGE.I cant stress this enough since what you are working on has the potential of killing you. The easiest test first is to turn the circuit breaker off for a few seconds and then turn it back on. This resets most circuit boards in alot of the ranges. Try to use the oven after that. If it still doesnt work then follow my instructions carefully.
1. Unplug unit, (dont use circuit breaker since some breakers arent clearly marked, unplugging guarantees there is no power to the unit.
2. Remove the lower back panel from the range. Most ranges have an upper and lower panel, remove the lower one.
3. On alot of whirlpool units there is a fuse located at the bottom of the range in the back. Its usually a ceramic fuse(solid color).
4. Check the fuse for continuity, or take it some place like radio shack and have them test it. If its faulty , replace it.
5. If the fust turns out to be ok, then I suggest you call a technician out. As a technician for the last 15 years, my best guess from where I sit(if not the fuse) is that you have a bad circuit board or oven switch. Both of these require skills that you may be beyond your talents. If you are handy with a multimeter and have a knowledge of electricity, email me and I will guide you further. JJONES33@tampabay.rr.com

Old 05-28-05, 10:07 AM
jade_1269
Visiting Guest
Thank you

You were right! Bad board Tech seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you!