Kelvinator fridge won't always start

Old 05-25-05, 11:07 AM
boscotoo
Visiting Guest
Cool Kelvinator fridge won't always start

I have a Kelvinator top freezer fridge model # mrt15csewe. It runs fine for about three weeks, then when called to start will make a buzzing sound (which gets longer in duration and louder on every re-start) until it will not re-start at all. If the fridge is off for about a week, it restarts with no problem. The compressor is a Tecumseh that has metered ok on the start and run wndings. This model fridge has a P.T.C. start relay with a plug-in run capacitor.
Question - is the P.T.C. relay or the capacitor the villian for the "no restart"?

Old 05-25-05, 08:33 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
frigidaire refrigerator

In my humble opinion, the capacitor start is most likely the problem. Not knowing how old the frig is, I can only guess at two possibilities. One is that the capacitor is or has grown weak and is getting to the point where it is not providing enough of a boost to get the compressor started. Or 2. that the compressor itself is going bad and requires a bigger jolt than what the capacitor offers. You can try to replace the capacitor first and see if that solves your problem. If not, you can try installing a 3n1 hard start. A 3n1 gives a better boost but the downside is that you dont know how long you will get before the compressor eventually goes bad and quits working altogether.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: