installing new oven. ?'s about the cord

Old 05-25-05, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
installing new oven. ?'s about the cord

i am installing my new oven. the old oven was connected to the electric in a weird way. the metallic-cased wire (that i suppose came with the oven) was spliced with a three prong appliance power cord. the splice was not in a junction box. it was only covered with electrical tape. i think the reason for this is that is would take roughly 7 feet of cable/wire to reach the outlet and they just didn't want to hard wire a new cord in the oven.

on to my current problem. the wire that came with oven had the ground and neutral (white) wires spliced together in case i had only a 3-wire setup, which i do. i want to completely replace the factory wire b/c it is only about 3-4 feet long. i am curious of what to use. i prefer to use plugs when possible b/c it makes future changes easier in my opinion. anyway, i purchased an appliance cord from the hardware store. can i splice the ground and white wires together in the oven before i connected the power cord? and it the rubber aplliance cord good enough to use?

thanks. hopefully, i haven't confused anyone.

Last edited by cbewing; 05-25-05 at 03:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
Your oven was made to be hard-wired into a junction box. A connector for metallic flexible cable should be installed on the flex from the oven.

Old 05-25-05, 03:32 PM
I don't think pcboss understood your question.

The cord that came with your new oven is short because that is what you are supposed to use. The receptacle is supposed to be close to the oven, usually in or on the wall directly behind it or floor mounted under it.

I don;t think you will be able to find a longer cord.

The proper solution is to relocate the old cord. However, you only seem to have a three wire feed, which means that you need to replace the entire feed. In theory you could splice an extension at the existing box and install a new one behind the new oven, but again you should replace the wire to get a four wire feed.

Old 05-25-05, 03:54 PM
thanks racraft. how important is it to replace the entire feed? the instructions from the oven state that a three wire feed is acceptable. like i said in my previous post that the original cord came with the white and ground wires spliced together.

the reason i didn't orignally move the box was becasue the oven cord was so short and i don't know if there is a close enough location that i can put it; the oven is in a diagonal corner and the space behind it is pretty open. would it be wrong to use a longer armored wire to replace the oven?

thanks again.

Old 05-26-05, 06:11 AM
cbewing,

To clarify...are you ASKING if you can remove the cable from the oven and make the cable longer that actually is attached to the oven...Is that what you are asking??

Old 05-26-05, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
cbewing,

To clarify...are you ASKING if you can remove the cable from the oven and make the cable longer that actually is attached to the oven...Is that what you are asking??

yes! and...

-if it is acceptable to use the longer cord, where/when do i splice the white & ground together? on the oven?

-is there anything wrong with using the rubber appliance cord?

i tested a six foot cord on it and i am about four inches short. so i would need a wire slighly longer than that if i were to go that route.

THANKS!!!

Old 05-26-05, 07:39 AM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
appliance cord

Lets remember one thing here first. If your appliance cord came with a four wire cord, then you have the traditional black, red, white, and green. The green is meant to be a chassis ground and is supposed to be grounded to the appliance. That is the new code requirement unless you have a three wire feed. In which case you need a three wire cord to match the three wire feed.In my neck of the woods the new code requires a four wire connection to the stove. But the older houses still have the three wire feed.

Mark

Old 05-26-05, 07:48 AM
okay let me clear up a few things.....

- oven came with a four wire connection (black, red, white, bare copper wire)

- the white and bare wire were spliced together from the factory and the instructions said to leave it that way IF i had a three wire connection in the house.

- i have a three wire connection in the house.