GE Refrigerator (GSS22WGMCWW) Water dispenser/ice maker problem

Old 05-25-05, 08:40 PM
aaranddeeman
Visiting Guest
GE Refrigerator (GSS22WGMCWW) Water dispenser/ice maker problem

I moved to this home a year ago. The existing refrigerator GE Model GSS22WGMCWW started the following problem.
1. Frosting under the icemaker tray (where ice comes out and enters dispenser)
2. Frosting at the entry point (inside the door) of dispenser.

This was OK, till yesterday, when my wife was out, the water dispenser became on automatically and it spread water all over kitchen floor till my wife came back and noticed it.

We now have shut the water valve off from the wall. I noticed that the switch or solenoid was stuck permanently. The light in the dispenser was constantly on (when water was flowing and when I shut it off). After a while the light went off and it does not turn on again no matter how may times you press the funnel. I can hear the switch clicking. I have two doubts.

1. Either the switch is gone bad or a wire got disconneced.
2. Solenoid is stuck (but then the light should come on and off which does not happen).

My only issue for which I want seek help is how to reach this area to find out what has happened. I samefrom inside of the door there are hex bolts, but I am not sure that is where I should open. Is there another easy way from front by removing the interface switch panel?

Could some one tell me how do I get access to the inside of dispenser of this GSS22WGMCWW

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-05, 09:26 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
icemaker problem

There are two things you need to address on this refrigerator. The presence of frost indicates that the dispenser(ice) probrably isn't closing all the way once you get ice. This allows warm air to rise up, condense and form frost. In all likelihood the solenoid that controls the opening and closing is bad and needs to be replaced. Secondly, the switches that control the water dispenser, and all the rest usually are on a circuit board. Given what you told me the circuit board AND the water supply valve probrably needs to be replaced. If I remember right , on the front face panel on the underside at the bottom there are two indentations for a flat blade screwdriver. Now on other models the front face(where the switches are) has a front that pops out with a little effort, and then the rest of the panel can be accessed. Don't feel bad, these boards and valves go bad all the time. Just take your time and spend a few bucks(approx. 200.00) and you can get it right.

Mark

Old 05-26-05, 07:02 PM
aaranddeeman
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by marknflorida
There are two things you need to address on this refrigerator. The presence of frost indicates that the dispenser(ice) probrably isn't closing all the way once you get ice. This allows warm air to rise up, condense and form frost. In all likelihood the solenoid that controls the opening and closing is bad and needs to be replaced. Secondly, the switches that control the water dispenser, and all the rest usually are on a circuit board. Given what you told me the circuit board AND the water supply valve probrably needs to be replaced. If I remember right , on the front face panel on the underside at the bottom there are two indentations for a flat blade screwdriver. Now on other models the front face(where the switches are) has a front that pops out with a little effort, and then the rest of the panel can be accessed. Don't feel bad, these boards and valves go bad all the time. Just take your time and spend a few bucks(approx. 200.00) and you can get it right.

Mark
Thanks Mark,

I'll give it a shot.

Dk

Old 05-27-05, 08:23 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frost problems

Yes I would agree if there's frost present you have warm air entering the unit from somewhere.The model unit you have along with several others are actually part of a service bulletin from GE. The exterior of the dispenser area forms moisture after some time passes as the units get older they then inturn rust out the solenoid in charge of closing and opening the dispenser door letting warm air into the freezer typically under the ice bucket and surrounding the ice chute opening. Your model will most likely not need a water valve. I'd suggest calling GE to see if they are extending the warranty on this problem. The last I heard they were doing it on a case by case basis. Short term-if your dead set on fixing it yourself, you can purcahase a new solenoid for the time being and you should get about the same amount of service from the one you bought as the one that was in the unit. Long term- there is a kit made for this problem if it turns out to be what I said. If your pretty handy you can do it yourself, it involves removal of the entire door & dispenser housing.Just some Fyi- I dont have a crystal ball so I can tell you for sure, but most likely it's where'd I go to check.