No HEAT fromWhite-Westinghouse Dryer

Old 05-26-05, 10:36 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question No HEAT fromWhite-Westinghouse Dryer

Hey all,

Wife started laundry before leaving for work this am.

Got home tonight (8 hrs later) & it was still running !!!

Man, rural electric is gonna love me :-(...

Anyway, clothes were dry, but not hot.

Control knob was still on More Dry (automatic drying sensor).

It's a White Westinghouse, model no, DE800KDD-4.

I'm thinking it could be one of several things: heating element, thermal fuse, fuse & breaker box, or wiring connection @ dryer. I'm leaning towards the element or fuse.

Only problem now is how to get it apart. I have the opened the top of the dryer & now need to know what to do next???

What type of readings should I get when checking resistance on the element & thermal fuse?

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited by dgiardina; 05-26-05 at 10:37 PM. Reason: wanted notification on - too quick with the post button !
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-05, 11:12 PM
marknflorida
Visiting Guest
white westinghouse

Dale,

Follow these steps in this order to determine the cause.

1. Check for proper power to the dryer. Make sure you have 220-240 volts. If you get any less than that, check your circuit breaker or house fuse.
2. UNPLUG DRYER
3. Now if I remember right the white westinghouse is the same(or at least the same maker of frigidaire which is electrolux) and the front panel of this dryer usually has two screws at the bottom front panel. After removing the screws the panel has to be lifted straight up and then pulled away from dryer. Make sure any door connections such as the door switch is disconnected.
4. Set your ohm meter to RX1. Locate the element usually on the lower right hand corner of the dryer in a round can. Look for two wire connections on the can. One will go directly to the element, the other usually goes through a thermostat(high limit) and then to the other side of the element. Test both those connections. If you read infinity, replace the element.
5. If you do get a reading then use the same check on the thermostat, and the thermal fuse and all other thermostats until you find the culprit.
6. Also check for any burned connections or wires. These dryers are notorious for that once they get some age on them.
7. If the element is bad take the whole can out and look for a burned separation within the coil area. That will seal the deal on it being a bad element.
8. Take the whole can down to your local appliance store along with the model number.

Now the disassembling of this dryer may vary from what Ive told you since I cant specifically see it. Nevertheless the electrical checks are the same.

Mark