Freezer and Refrigerator not cold

Old 06-01-05, 09:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Freezer and Refrigerator not cold

undefinedundefined

We are having a problem with our refrigerator/freezer. It is a Whirlpool, and is about 15 months old.

It is not cooling properly. We got home today and everything in our freezer had thawed. We had just bought Buy 1 Get 1 ice cream, and it was everywhere! The refrigerator feels warmer than normal too.

There is the possibility that my husband did not shut the freezer door all the way and it was like that for about 41/2 hours before we found it.

Would the freezer door being left open affect the refrigerator's temperature?

How long will it take the freezer and refrigerator to recover if the door was indeed not shut properly, so if we know that is what happened or if there is some other problem?

Thanks!

Old 06-02-05, 12:13 PM
J
refridgerators get their cold air from the freezer. They do not produce their own. Close the door and wait. In the mean time send the old man out for some more ice cream[I think]

Old 06-02-05, 01:36 PM
D
Bigger problems

We got up this morning and it was warmer than last night in the fridge and freezer. I put a thermometer in there last night, so I am sure. We lost everything in the fridge and freezer. VERY EXPENSIVE!!!!!!

Tuesday is the earliest we've been told someone can come out and look at it. If it is the compressor, then it is still under warranty.

One shop told me to unplug it and plug it back in tomorrow morning. She said if it cools then, it is a defrost problem. If it doesn't, then it is the compressor.

We are living out of a cooler for now and praying it is something covered by warranty.

Thanks for the advice!

Old 06-02-05, 01:58 PM
J
That's why I said "I think". Do what the guy said unplug it and plug it in tomorrow. If it is the defrost timer stuck in defrost or the temperature control it is easy to replace,and you can do it tomorrow. Otherwise it's a freebie.

When you say warmer---is it less cool or warm. What temp is it-was it

Old 06-02-05, 02:18 PM
D
It was 60 degrees in my freezer this morning! It was about the same in my refridgerator. The air blowing out of the vent in the freezer was warm.

Not conducive to preserving meat, ice cream, or the snow I had saved from the Blizzard of '93 here!

If I plug it in tomorrow and it works, I will post for some instructions on relplacing whatever needs to be replaced. You sound like you know what you are talking about!

thanks again!

Old 06-02-05, 03:48 PM
J
Get familiar with where things are on your ref. By the way make sure that the condenser fan is running. This is a fan probably under the fridge that draws cool air across the condenser and dissipates the heat that has been extracted from the fridge. If this is not working it will not cool right. Is the compressor running at all. Just curious

Old 06-02-05, 04:04 PM
D
Now I know this is going to sound like an ignorant question, but to check the fan under my fridge, I will have to turn it on its side, right? I will have to wait and let my husband help me with that.

Before I unplugged the fridge earlier today, I think the compressor was running. The vent in the freezer was blowing warm air. Does the fact that the fan was running mean the compressor was running? If not, how would I be able to tell if the compressor was running?

Thanks for your advice so far!

Old 06-02-05, 07:28 PM
J
Don't tip the ref on its side. The compressor makes noise when it comes on. You can also feel it to see if it is running. If it is not plugged in the fan and the compressor will not be running. Wait till morning.

Old 06-03-05, 06:48 AM
D
Donna:

I had a similar issue to yours but with my GE refrigerator. Here is my thread: http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=212796

I am sure you shall learn from it. I would investigate along the same lines and I have a feeling u might have the same issue as well.

Old 06-03-05, 08:36 AM
J
I belive your problem was due to lack of air flow due to a frozen evaporator due to a faulty defroster.There was no mention of a frozen back wall but there was mention of "blowing hot air" which would not happen if the evaporator was blocked with ice. This is more like the opposite of what you had meaning no frost on the evaporator coils, but no cooling either. I am not a appliance mechanic but I do know about them. This is just my opinion.

Old 06-03-05, 09:58 AM
D
Still not cool

I plugged the fridge back in this morning. No cooling going on here. Will have to wait for the repair man on Tuesday, I guess. There's a chance they could get to us sooner, and that is what we are hoping for.

Thanks for all of your help!

donna

Old 06-03-05, 10:00 AM
D
Joneq,

Were you talking to me on your last post, or dcmetro?

Old 06-03-05, 12:36 PM
J
I was talking to dcmetro. When you plugged it in the compressor didn't start or it started and didn't cool.

Old 06-03-05, 07:02 PM
D
It didn't sound like the compressor even started to me. I could hear the fan running, but it was still blowing warm air.

Good news is that we've been bumped up to Monday on the repairman's route!

Thanks so much for all of your help! I'll let you know what he says.

donna

Old 06-07-05, 09:28 PM
D
what the repairman said

Sorry I forgot to post yesterday what the repairman said. He said the compressor is "open" (whatever that means) and needs to be replaced.

We are very thankful that it is covered by warranty, although it baffles me how this can happen to a refrigerator that is only 15 months old.

He got the part today and is supposed to come back tomorrow to replace the compressor. He works for the power company here, and they are authorized Whirlpool repair people, so I trust them.

Any idea how long it will take the fridge and freezer to cool down once the compressor is working again? I don't want to go buy a bunch of groceries tomorrow only to have them go bad again!

Thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: