whirlpool dryer doesn't run - no power?

Old 06-05-05, 12:29 PM
joshua278
Visiting Guest
whirlpool dryer doesn't run - no power?

I just moved and had to replace the power cord on my dryer from a 3 wire to a 4 wire. Plugged it in after installing and dryer did not work. I checked the power coming out of the 240 plug and the voltage is at 248. I checked the voltage on the terminal on the dryer and it is fine so I know the cable is good. I read up a little on some sites and tested the door switch and the start switch and they are good. Where do I go from here? I do not want to have to disassemble the entire dryer if I don't have to. Once again, nothing works on the dryer including the light when the door is open. It's like no power is going through the dryer at all. My dryer is a new Whirlpool model# LEQ8611LW1. Thank you for any response.

Old 06-05-05, 06:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is there a fuse anywhere on the dryer? Check all thermostats. There are no voltage readings anywhere in the dryer? Check the start button.

Old 06-05-05, 07:53 PM
joshua278
Visiting Guest
I checked the start switch and got continuity and I checked to see if there was voltage there and received no reading. I have not checked the thermal fuse (is this the only fuse?). If the thermal fuse was bad would this also cause the the light not to work either? I've checked continuity at the door switch and its good there. Thanks for your response.

Old 06-05-05, 08:10 PM
J
when you find something that doesn't look right you need to work backwards. You will need the schematics for this. They should be on the machine somewhere. can you find them. Was this dryer working perfect before you changed the plug? How old is it. Did you check the door switch and the bulb. The door switch is wired in series with the motor if it is no good the motor don't come on and or the light won't work.The door switch is a likely spot to look, they break.

If and when you find the schematics make tests starting at the wall then the plug then where it goes into the dryer. When you find something that don't add up fix it. To answer your question there are numerous protective devices on the dryer.

Last edited by joneq; 06-05-05 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-06-05, 05:29 PM
A
Hey,
The door switch may be fine,but the wire running to the motor may not be.Check it, make sure it is unpluged,alot of times the drum will rub against the wire running to the motor.Hope this helps.

Old 06-06-05, 06:19 PM
joshua278
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will disassemble the dryer and start really doing some troubleshooting now. I will post again when I figure out the problem.

Old 06-06-05, 06:24 PM
J
check the door switch first.no need to disassemble whole thing if it is the switch. It is a common problem.

Old 06-07-05, 06:00 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If It Worked Fine Before Cord Change... How Did You Wire Cord... Red To Right // White And Cabinet Ground To Center // Black To Left // Cord Ground To Cabinet.... Shld Get 120v Fm Left To Middle And 120v Fm Right To Middle.... If Wired Wrong Therm Fuse Is Blown Behind Blower Housing... You Can Get To It Thru The Bottom Access Panel...

Old 06-07-05, 07:18 PM
joshua278
Visiting Guest
Bambiblaster,

Okay now I am really confused. I installed the cord correctly according to the dryer instructions and how you said. As looking at the back of the dryer Red to Right, White and cabinet Ground to Center, Black to Left and Cord ground to the dryer cabinet. But when measuring voltage from Right(Red) to Middle (White and Cabinet Ground) I get 240V and when measuring Left (Black) to Middle I get nothing. I get 120V when measuring from the cord ground on the dryer cabinet to either red or black, though. Is this correct? I think I am going to check that thermal fuse anyway. Just for the experience.
Thanks,

Old 06-08-05, 06:33 PM
Sounds Like The Outlet Is Wired Wrong....!!!

Old 06-09-05, 06:29 PM
joshua278
Visiting Guest
I just measured voltage at the outlet again. From the Neutral (top hole) to either of the flat rectangular holes I get nothing. From the flat rectangular holes to each other I get 240. I flipped the switch off at the breaker and and took off the outlet cover and what I see is one white wire going to one side, a black wire going to the other and the bare wire going to the ground (bottom hole) and nothing to the neutral. I am no electrician but does this seem like someone just put a 4 wire outlet on a 3 wire connection?

Old 06-09-05, 06:40 PM
Thats What It Sounds Like....

Old 06-10-05, 08:50 PM
joshua278
Visiting Guest
I put a 3 wire receptacle on and put my old 3 wire dryer cord back and everything works great! I would like to thank everyone who helped me out in this forum. Without you guys I would have spent a great deal more than $6.99 for a receptacle and not had the opportunity to learn something about my dryer and electrical wiring. Thanks again.

Josh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: