Icemaker not dumping ice

Old 06-12-05, 10:04 AM
wmarsich
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Icemaker not dumping ice

We have a Kenmore side by side refrigerator that appears to be making ice, but not dumping it into the ice bin. I have no idea if this is related, but...a few days ago I opened the freezer and just took ice from the bin and there was a 2" by 2" peice of flat plasic in the bin. I had no idea were it came from but it didn't show any sign of being broken from anywhere. I've looked through my manual and I can find no part in the parts diagram that looks like this small piece of plastic??? The following day I emptied all the ice from the bin into a cooler. Since then - no ice. I though maybe the ice "ejector spokes" were jammed with ice so we freed all the ice from the trays this morning with a blow dryer and plasic utensil. The ice tray immediately filled up and froze, but the ice is not being emptied into the bin. We have checked the bin and it is definately locked in place. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before we are forced to call a tech?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-05, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 36 Posts
wmarsich,

Refigerator ice makers are fairly simple but repairing them is a pain.
A new one would be less money that a tech trying to fiddle with the old one, especially if a piece broke off.

You could likely call a service company with the model and s/n of your fridge and get an estimate on someone coming out to change it.

Old 06-13-05, 09:57 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am not sure, but could the 2/2 piece be from the bottom of the tray the ice is in before it is rotated out. If it is the tray itself may be replaceable.

Old 06-13-05, 05:34 PM
J
guess the water would flow through the hole huh . but it could still be the bottom of the tray is rough and not allowing the ice to free up and eject

Old 05-12-06, 10:35 AM
V
Were you able to find the reason for icemaker not dumping ice?

My 10 year old Kenmore has exactly same symptoms. Any advise will be greatly appreciated.