Kenmore Fridge Ice Dispenser Door Broken - Need Help Replacing

Old 06-15-05, 12:30 PM
rav
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Fridge Ice Dispenser Door Broken - Need Help Replacing

I have a 7yr old side by side Kenmore Fridge - model #106.57762790.

The "arm" of the ice dispenser door (flap where the ice comes out into your cup) somehow broke (actually snapped in half) so the door/flap does not seal which lets kitchen/room air to enter and ice starts frosting around the ice maker (basically, freezer air is leaking out due to flap not sealing properly - broken arm).

I can purchase the "door mechanism assembly" (the arm for the ice dispenser door/flap) from Sears for about $21 + S/H.

So I know I have to remove & replace the existing flap/door arm. But my problem is how to get access to it???

It seems like I first need to remove the ice dispenser's front cover to get better access to the ice dispenser parts.

So I basically need help in how to remove the ice dispenser's front cover??? Obviously, there are no visible screws. I'm sure it is just somehow snapped on. There are two half inch slits at the bottom of the front cover about 6 inchs or so apart. Do I need special tools to remove front cover???

Any help in removing the ice dispenser's front cover without breaking it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rav

Old 06-18-05, 10:29 AM
rav
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Kenmore Fridge Ice Dispenser Door Broken - Need Access

Can anyone help me with how to remove the front cover of the ice dispenser to get access to the broken part???

-Rav

Old 06-18-05, 05:18 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Look at the inside of the door and see if there are any screws there. Look under the thing where the cubes fall into to open the flap. I do not have a whirlpool, but GE, it may be the same type of thing.Two screws and the thing come off.Mine anyway

Old 06-21-05, 02:51 AM
rav
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Kenmore Fridge Ice Dispenser Door Broken - Need Access

joneq: I don't see any screws - thanks for the reply anyway.

STILL NEED HELP:
---------------------
Can anyone help me with how to remove the Kenmore/Whirlpool front cover of the ice dispenser to get access to the broken part???

Old 06-24-05, 03:13 PM
H
just pop off the front cover. I have a very similar fridge

Old 07-19-05, 10:44 AM
chuck24
Visiting Guest
I have the exact same problem with a 7 year old KitchenAid model #KSRS25QGAL01. Could you expand on how to "just pop it iff". I've been pryiing all around the front panel without any luck. I am afraid to pry any harder, don't want to break it, it's an expensive part to replace. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-19-05, 10:46 AM
chuck24
Visiting Guest
Sorry, "just pop it off"

Old 07-19-05, 03:40 PM
D
Kenmore Fridge

I'm not exactly sure on your model but on some other ones if you pull out the water tray you might see a few screws in the back to remove. Once they are out you can slide the whole assembly up & pull out to remove. If not, its like the other guys said. Pry it out. Dave

Old 07-21-05, 03:41 PM
I had a Kenmore once with a similar problem. Access to the mechs were only through the back of the door. Had to remove the door, lay it down, then removed door gasket, then inner door molded lining, then the mechs. Lot's of work.

Old 08-08-05, 07:13 AM
heyjuliebean
Visiting Guest
Just wondering if you were able to get it off. Mine just quit and would like
to remove the front panel also.

Old 08-10-05, 01:20 PM
rav
Visiting Guest
Smile Kenmore Fridge Ice Dispenser Door Broken - Need Access

Make sure there are no screws on your dispenser's trim including checking under & behind the drip tray in the base of the dispenser. If there are screws, remove them first.

My dispenser's trim did not have any screws at all so I just pryed it off as discussed below:

I was able to remove the ice dispenser's outer front cover/trim by first CAREFULLY prying it off at the bottom of the trim at the two half inch slots.

I used a putty knife in the slots for prying with the end wrapped in tape so it would not scratch the finish of the fridge while prying.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: