Block of ice on evaporator coil - Hotpoint fridge

Old 06-16-05, 04:03 PM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
Block of ice on evaporator coil - Hotpoint fridge

I have a ~10 years old Hotpoint refrigerator model RT189RLW-1 which has been working flawless for 10 years. I had to shut it down for a month earlier this year for a long term vacation.

When I came back, I turned it on and I have problems since. The fridge and the freezer are not cold enough. I had a look at the evaporator coils and there is a block of ice on a section of the coil (about 10% of it).

I think the auto defrost does not turn on because it never become cold enough in there.

I tried to let it sit and when I turn it on again I get the same problem after a day. I have read that this might be a refrigeration system problem.

Am I right?

Old 06-16-05, 09:58 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where is the ice on the evaporator and what is on the other 90% of the coils.Did you let it sit long enough to melt the block of ice.

If you have a defrost timer and not a adaptive defrostmodule it comes on at the prescribed time and not based on how cold it is, so if it never defrosts there is a prob in that circuit.

Suggest you let it frost up good to close the thermostat and find the defrost timer and with the compressor running advance it with a coin or screw driver till the compressor turns off.It is now in defrost mode. if it defrosts then change the timer if not check the heating element for continuity. if it does not show continuity replace it. It may come with the thrmostat.If it shows continuity check the thermostat. It must be very cold for the thermostat to be closed.you need to make sure it closes when it is cold not that it is open when it is warm. If it is open when it is cold it is bad.

The timer can also be checked with a volt ohm meter, by doing tests at different terminals, in and out of defrost mode.

I can't help you find these things only to say the timer may be behind the kick plate at the bottom. The other stuff is in the freezer compartment near or on the evaporator, and unplug the ref when doing continuity tests. Do a google picture search to see what they look like or go to some appliance parts store on the net.

If you have an adaptive defrost module=NEVERMIND all the above.You will need to take it out of the circuit and test the thermostat and heater with an extensin cord with the female end cut off and connected to the heater with the thermostat in the circuit.If it does heat up get a new adm, if not test the heater and the thermostat.

Hope I am not making any extra work for you . I am not a mechanic, but thought I would chime in since no one else did. Maybe wait a little longer to see if there is a simple fix.

Old 06-17-05, 10:14 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your input. I did test the defrost timer and the defrost itself and they do work. Here is a picture of the problem. The unit has been running for one night.

http://www3.sympatico.ca/pierrelucg/IMG_6490a.jpg

Edit. Hmm I guess there is something wrong with my link. Copy/paste it.

Old 06-17-05, 12:21 PM
J
Not a mechanic, but it looks like low on refrigerant or worn out compressor. Should be frost on pretty much all coils. If there is refrigerant in the coils they frost up.

Old 06-17-05, 08:51 PM
dimlight
Visiting Guest
I aggree with joneq,leak in the system or low pumping compressor .If less than 10years may still have warranty on sealed system if not then it is a fairly expensive repair.

Old 06-18-05, 08:36 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
Is it possible to detect a leak by looking at the parts?

Old 06-18-05, 09:07 AM
J
you could look for oil residue or use soapy water at the connections by the compressor/ Of course there could be a little hole in the evaporator or the condenser too. Check with the compressor running and then not running after it has been off for a while. Leave the doors open to let it warm up. It is easier to just check all the connections twice that to explain why.

Old 06-18-05, 09:36 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
Would it be easier to test the compressor itself?

Old 06-18-05, 09:39 AM
J
you need guages and a place to attach them. and a license to open up the sealed system.

Old 06-18-05, 09:41 AM
J
does the compressor sound any different than it used to. If it is low on refrigerant it may sound like it is working harde or faster. Just for kicks unplug the refrigerator with the compressor running and plug it back in right away. What happens. Let the compressor run for a while first to build up pressure

Old 06-18-05, 09:48 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
If I disconnect and reconnect it restarts right away.

The sound is the same as it used to be. It is running all day long tough (cannot reach correct temp I guess).

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-18-05, 09:55 AM
J
I think that means the compressor is on its way out. If there was sufficient pressure buily up I don't thingk the compressor should have restarted immediately.

Old 06-18-05, 10:11 AM
J
turn it off. if it is the compressor you cannot fix it. May be time to call someone. Wait around here and see if a appliance repair mechanic pops in. There may be no leak but the compressor can't compress good enough.

Old 06-18-05, 10:30 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
The compressor is still under warranty (10 years) so I'll give a call to Hotpoint on monday.

Thanks you very much for your time.

Old 06-20-05, 07:17 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
Someone came in to have a look. It was low on freon. The guy added 2onces and it's working great now.

Thanks for your help. I hope I'll do a couple of months with this freon.

Old 06-20-05, 07:42 AM
J
refrigerators never get low on freon unless there is a leak. I would definitely get the leak fixed while under warranty if it is covered.

Old 06-20-05, 08:07 AM
ROcHE
Visiting Guest
It's not under warranty

The sealed system is only 5 years.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: