Best way to "solder" for an ice maker repair

Old 07-03-05, 10:47 AM
RobDG
Visiting Guest
Best way to "solder" for an ice maker repair

Hi all - A hopefully easy question for someone knowledgeable.. I have an ice maker that has a metal shaft that connects to a bin via a flat metal bar. You can almost picure it like a propeller on the front of a airplane with the drive shaft to the engine.

This thing (all of it) is supposed to rotate when the button on the front of the fridge is pushed. My problem is the shaft rotates but the flat metal bar spins free now. I was thinking I could just solder them together but since this thing is part of the ice container I do not want to expose the family to solder poisoning. Is the best (or only) solution to tack weld this and clean it up? Or is there another option?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Rob

Old 07-03-05, 07:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I can visualize a 12" spiral paddle , exactly like a snow blower, that churns the cubes out the chute. It that accurate?

Regardless, most solders are lead free now a days. Read the label to be sure. I don't believe solder will serve any strength in a mechanical application. Brazing may be an option, but welding is the strongest, especially if torque is involved.

Lastly, be sure you understand the design. There may be a simple clutch mechanism that you have overlooked.

I would check the price of a replacement part first, although I suspect the part will cost more than a new ice maker. lol.

Old 07-05-05, 08:26 PM
RobDG
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice Lugnut! I feel pretty good about the way the thing is supposed to operate. Here is a small pic here: http://members.cox.net/robdgibson/icemaker.jpg

The assembly on the left is where the ice falls out. The round bin is somehow supposed to control that process. Problem is now the metal cross beam spins too easy and it barely pushes ice out. Nevermind the rust..

I will try to find someone with a welding machine. I don't know much about welding but I assume the brazing is done by a gas welding torch??

Old 07-05-05, 09:26 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For metal that thin, you might want to ask for a MIG welder.

Since you never have a welder around when you need one, put on a sad face and go to a independent muffler shop. There welders are ready to go every minute of the day. Hold your project out like a boy with a broken toy. I'll bet you a beer they spot weld it the minute they see it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: