Does an oven/range really need 30" clearance above?

Old 07-08-05, 02:29 PM
zipfool
Visiting Guest
Does an oven/range really need 30" clearance above?

I just moved into my first home (condo), and we are in the process of installing new appliances. There is a cabinet above the range and when I was reading the installation instructions for the range, it noted that I must have at least 30" of clearance between the range surface and the bottom of the cabinet that exists above the range.

When I measure the distance, I only get about 29.25" and I'm concerned that it may be a fire hazard. Is the 30" rule a hard and fast rule that HAS to be followed, or can there be some leaway?

I also ask because the same thing is noted in the installation manual for the microhood (over the top of the range microwave with hood). Amongst other setbacks, I hope this one won't be too big of a deal.

Old 07-09-05, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
zipfool,

What you have is acceptable. Don't worry.

I wrote this awhile back,

"The key here is the installation instructions. Most brands are similar but it is wise to check first.

First off, what I make reference to is using the standard 30 inch wall cabinets that would be provide the 18" space between countertop and bottom of cabinet.

Regardless if you have a hood fan or SpaceSaver microwave, the minimum, in general, is that the bottom of the cabinet must be at least 66 inches or more from the floor. The minimum space between the countertop and bottom of the upper cabinet that this would be directly under should be 30 inches minimum.

If you go into a home now days, the hood vent is sitting directly under a 18 inch cabinet.

The microwave however can be placed under the 18 inch cabinet, acceptable by manufactures specs but it would protrude down below the adjoining cabinets by about 3 1/2 inches.

However, if the cabinet above the microwave was to be virtually flush at the bottom of the adjoining cabinets, a 12" wall cabinet would have to be used."

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: