An offer I couldn't refuse...

Old 07-13-05, 11:04 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
An offer I couldn't refuse...

I am in a rent to own mobile home (1966 Magnolia) that was literally my only opportunity to own my own home. The place is old but in relatively good shape except the electrical. I'm certain the owners were aware of the situation prior to my signing the lease/contract to buy but failed to inform me of the problems. Now I am having major problems with the breakers tripping and I can't run both the washer and dryer at the same time, heating element new but not working, etc.

Each time I contact the owner for repairs, he jumps right on it, but this time, he has made a "temporary" fix which is not sufficient. The breakers are still tripping and now I have found out that the dryer plug in is hot...there is no ground. (Incidentally, a stove outlet was installed and I had to have a stove plug in put on my dryer to use it). Now the owner is out of town and I have the "maintenance" man coming over later today to look at it. Short of re-wiring the entire unit, there is no other resolution to this that I am aware of.

Question: Do I have any recourse concerning this since it is a major safety issue (fire hazard)? Also, it is my word against the owners as far as whether they knew about it before I moved in. Rumor in the park is that this is why former tenants did not stick around, but rumors are not steadfast as you know. What can I do to pursue this and where should I begin? I am very low income and really unable to afford an electrician to inspect the situation.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Old 07-13-05, 11:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I don't know the legalities of RTO but since there is rarely a down payment and no real 'financing' I doubt there is a lot of legal recourse. A dryer [30amp] should never be run off of a stove plug in [50amp] However you may be confusing the old [and still standard in some locals] 3 prong dryer plug with the new 4 prong plug which includes a ground. Are all the circuits tripping? Or is it just the main breaker? What size is the service? Some of the older trailers only have 60amp services which generally aren't big enough large amp drains. A washer is typically on a 20amp 120 volt circuit either by itself or with only a few devices also on the same circuit. Dryer is on a 30amp 240 volt circuit by itself.

Unless you can get owner to make the repairs your only options are moving or repairing yourself. Wiring isn't overly complicated but must be treated with respect. There are many books that go into detail all the wiring aspects of homes. All the interior wiring can be made by a DIY but if the service needs upgrading this should [and sometimes required] be done by an qualified electrician.

Old 07-13-05, 12:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face

Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, I did pay a small down payment and I pay so much per month for 48 months (this includes space rent). The lease itself indicates month to month, but the addendum indicates ownership after completion of the four years.

Ok...the dryer is running off a 30 amp breaker fuse and it does not trip when running. The problem is that the heating portion of the dryer does not work and the thermostat and heating element have both been tested and are working. Apparently the fuse that runs the heating element is blown but I have no idea where it would be.

Next, it only trips the breaker that operates two evap coolers and all (3) plug ins in my son's bedroom, plus three others in the living room. Initially it would only trip the bedroom and coolers, but since the owner installed new breaker switches, it trips three LR plugs as well.

The service I'm assuming is 60 amp - there are two 60 amp BUSS fuses in the main box and I have replaced them as well. They blew the first time I used the washer and dryer at the same time and all circuits (except one) were completely dead.

I am not comfortable with electricity so I would definitely have someone else do the wiring (which most likely would be the owner), however, with him only making a "temporary" fix and the problem still existing, I'm not certain he knows what he is doing. I will continue researching and see what other options there are.

Thank you again for your help!!

Old 07-13-05, 07:31 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
The dyrer problem is in the dryer. It only has 1 power source so if it turns on it is getting power. The only exception is if 1/2 of the 240 circuit is dead and it is only receiving 120 volt. Since you only have a 60amp service you are likely to trip breakers when ever too much elec is used simultaniously. I used to have a 1971 [?] trailer with 60amp but heat and stove were gas and had no air. I had no problems other than it was a fuse box situation but there wasn't any juice to spare.

I wouldn't expect a lot from the owner as he is trying to unload the trailer and make a profit. Wish you luck with your home

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: