Refrigerator side by side (Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling)

Old 07-16-05, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It could take some more cleaning condenser coils underneith,

Old 07-16-05, 10:58 AM
G
Originally Posted by tulihk
Is there another test for timer?
Yes
Post #27 on this link

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=212796

Old 07-16-05, 11:01 AM
J
unplug it and clean the coils

Old 07-16-05, 11:02 AM
The problem is that it is not producing enough cooling, certainly not in the freezer to freeze any thing. The tem in Freezer fluctuates between 35 an over 60 deg. On the ref side it is holding between 60 -70 deg.

Old 07-16-05, 11:23 AM
J
unplug it and clean the coils under the ref and make sure the fan is running and the back cover is on thr ref

Old 07-16-05, 11:32 AM
G
Some refrigerators can take 24 hours before the temperature will stabilize
place a plastic cup of water in the freezer compartment see it freezes after 10 hours.

The refrigerator needs time to remove the heat from the inside, then it sends the heat outside to the condenser.

Old 07-16-05, 11:46 AM
Should I put the cover back on the evaporator coils?

Old 07-16-05, 11:49 AM
J
put all the covers on.

Old 07-16-05, 11:52 AM
J
including the one on the back if you took it off, we know the fan in the freezer works just make sure the one under the ref is working---Take the rest of the day off!!!!!

Old 07-16-05, 12:01 PM
Both the fans are working. All the cover except freezer compartment is on. I will put that one on also. I will let you know what happens later in the evening or tomorrow.

Thanks

Old 07-16-05, 12:06 PM
G
Get a marker, and put a mark on the timer shaft that you have been turning.
IF you have a 6 hour timer the mark should make a full rotation every 6 hours.

Some times a timer will have a bad spot on a gear and stop in one position and no longer turn, in less you turn it past the bad spot, then it will run up to the bad spot again.

Old 07-17-05, 09:18 AM
Everything seems to be working at this point with the exception to Defrost timer. I put a mark on it and another mark on the ref side to watch its movement. I have not seen the timer move at all. Both of the markings are exactly same sopt where I placed them. Does this mean the timer is not working.

Inside ref temp is 50 deg. Ice is being made and is is cycling properly.

I wanted to thank both of you joneq & GWIZ, for your patience and support. Believe me I have learned a lot about this appliance since I statred communicated through forum.

Old 07-17-05, 09:28 AM
J
the refrigerator shold be like 38 degrees. Are you saying the freezer is very cold like 10 degrees but the ref is only 50 degrees.

Old 07-17-05, 09:49 AM
No freezer is more like 28 deg. I have set the dial to normal for both sides.

Old 07-17-05, 09:55 AM
J
normal for the freeze is 0 to 10 degrees and less than 40 for the milk section. set the dials to coldest and see if it brings the temp down. The coils and the defrost problems should have no effect on the cooling at this point since the evaporator was all clear last night. If you want to take a look at them now it might be nice. You can probably do it in your sleep by now

Old 07-17-05, 12:40 PM
Temp in freezer at the bottom section is 20 deg. As you move above it goes up slightly. There is definitively ice building up on the evaporator coils. I can see this without removing the cover. I manually rotated the defrost timer earlier to see if there is any difference in the temp. But not too much.

I set the dial to coldest for both sides. It did not make a whole lot difference. I then switched to normal.

There is also a not whole lot of Ice there.

Old 07-17-05, 12:41 PM
G
I agree.

"loneq" post # 55
" The coils and the defrost problems should have no effect on the cooling at this point since the evaporator was all clear last night. If you want to take a look at them now it might be nice."

====================================
You have a slightly different timer then most,
so I would say 80% chance that your timer is bad, from your post # 52.
For $25 I would change it.

most timers the defrost time is 35 minuets.
I would cycle the timer to the defrost mode and Wait, see if the fridge restarts on its own,
after one hour if the fridge does Not start then the timer is bad.
The timer should take it out of the defrost mode, back to the run mode.

Some times a timer will have a bad spot on a gear and stop in one position and no longer turn, in less you turn it past the bad spot, then it will run up to the bad spot again.

Old 07-17-05, 12:45 PM
Every time I manualy moved the timer to defrost, the system has started itself after a while. My guess may be 30 minutes. But as I stated earlier, the mark I put on timer indicates that the timer is not moving. I can see the mark exactly where I left is last night.

Old 07-17-05, 12:53 PM
J
if it works only when you move it then it is bad. If the ref is not getting cold as stated above why would you want to replace it. What are the temps now.

Old 07-17-05, 12:53 PM
I am definitively planning to replace the timer. Any idea how to get to it. Do I have to remove that whole section where light assembly is located?

Old 07-17-05, 12:58 PM
Temp in freezer at the bottom section is 20 deg adn ref is 50 deg. On freezer side as you move above, the temp goes up slightly. There is definitively ice building up on the evaporator coils. I can see this without removing the cover. I manually rotated the defrost timer earlier to see if there is any difference in the temp. But not too much.

Old 07-17-05, 01:03 PM
G
Turn it a 1/2 turn then see if it moves over time.
it may be in a bad spot on the gear.

Or you have a odd timer that does not show movenent.

Old 07-17-05, 01:06 PM
G
If the freezer is empty that can have an effect on cooling.
Is it empty ?

Old 07-17-05, 01:11 PM
I manualy moved the defrost timer and timed it. The system cycled out of defrost mode in about 20 minutes.

No the freezer is not empty. It has some frozen food in there.

Old 07-17-05, 03:23 PM
G
Before you change anything.

If the freezer cant get to Zero........This is a condensed check list.
======================
Evaporator coils blocked with ice preventing cooling
Defroster not working

Post # 4, 6... "joneq"
Heater, heater thermostat. defrost timer.
-----------------------------------------
Evaporator fan not working
-----------------------------------------
Condenser over heating.

Post # 38, 45 "joneq"
clean, and check condenser fan.
------------------------------------------
opening the door to often.

post # 46
Some refrigerators can take 24 hours before the temperature will stabilize
place a plastic cup of water in the freezer compartment see it freezes after 10 hours.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Maybe low on freon.
The pump maybe going bad.

Old 07-17-05, 07:08 PM
The ice is building up on the evaporator coils. As I stated earlier when I manualy switch to the defrost mode, the system restart the after 15-20 minutes. This may be not enough time for the ice to melt. I may have to run of defrost a couple of time simultaneously, may be that will work.

GWIZ the checklist you provided, it appears all of the things are working. I am not able to check the last two items, freon and the pump. I assume pump you are talking about is compresor.

Old 07-17-05, 08:33 PM
J
what is your definition of ice? frost,snow or like an ice cube . is there air blowing in the freezer=can you feel a breeze.

Old 07-18-05, 02:13 PM
There is defilnitivly a lot of ice build up preventing the system from cooling. It is not frost or snow. It may be frost that has accumulated on coils and has turned into ice. The temp of the ref has climbed to 70 deg. I have manually switched to defrost a couple of times yesterday, but ice continues to build on the evaporator coils. It appears the defroster cycle is too short.

I know the heater works because when I had the freezer back panel removed and little ice had build up, manually switching the timer made heater came on and melted the ice there.

Old 07-18-05, 02:29 PM
I stand corrected.

It is feels like snow and not ice. Overtime it may melt and turn into ice.

Old 07-18-05, 02:50 PM
G
Most but NOT all refrigerators.

The "freezer control" opens a vent between the freezer and fridge compartment.
So if you turn this control on Hi it makes the opening smaller.
the fridge compartment will take longer to get cold it does not get as much cold air from the freezer.

The "refrigerator control thermostat" checks the temperature in the fridge compartment, if this side does not get to the say 40 deg the compressor will not turn off, except for the defrost timer.

Turn the freezer control to low, this will allow the most amount of air to get into the fridge compartment from the freezer.
Place the fridge control just below mid range.

Old 07-18-05, 04:19 PM
I set the setting GWIZ suggested.

Any idea why the snow/ice is building up soo quickly?

Also is there any harm in running the defrost cycle manually, several times?

Last edited by tulihk; 07-18-05 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 06:44 PM
G
" Any idea why the snow/ice is building up soo quickly?"

The more you open the door, the more snow, it comes from the moisture in the air.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Also is there any harm in running the defrost cycle manually, several times? "

Cant say for 100%, I generally replace the part within a week.
My side by side, I had it run for a week or more with a bad heater.
I had so much ice that it bent the cover.

every time you start the heater, it may take over an hour for the freezer to remove the heat.

I would think you can try every 6 hr.
Some timers are 6 hr, 8 hr, 10 hr

Try this turn the timer say 1/8 turn just before the defrost mode.
Wait and see if the timer will switch to the defrost mode on its own, maybe within 1 hr.

I'm trying to establish if your original problem it the timer or not.

Placing a house fan behind the fridge to help cool the condenser, it will help get the temp down.

Old 07-18-05, 07:28 PM
poss
Visiting Guest
Smile

Hi

We have exactly the same fridge with exactly the same problem and have had Sears out to fix it five or six times in two months because the same part keeps failing. I'm a fix-it dummy so I'll try and describe what is wrong with ours to help you. The little circuit board in the refridgerator side breaks down, stopping it from warming up the air-feed pipes from the freezer side (a side-by-side fridge is actually cooled by freezer air which is slightly warmed on it's way from the freezer to make it an appriopriate temperature for the fridge cooling side and also, so your fridge doesn't freeze everything).

Once this happens (the circuit board blowing out) the freezer air pipes through to the fridge will freeze shut, stopping the cold air coming through at all. This also has the effect of causing ice to build up in the bottom of the freezer, slowly reducing it's cooling ability and thus stopping the whole appliance from cooling anything anywhere.

This is the best description I can give you, based on my memory of what the tradesmen have told me over the past few months. One guy said we could just turnthe fridge off overnight, allowing the appliance to defrost and then it would work as per usual for a few days. I though t this was a dumb idea as our food keeps warming and cooling which is a good way to die!!!

Good luck.

The Tulloch family

Old 07-19-05, 05:24 PM
GWIZ and Joneq

Thanks to both of you for all the support you provided. I have learned a lot about the inside of the refrigerator / freezer.

I think I may have fix the problem I was having with my ref. I will let you know for sure, if every thing is back to normal, tomorrow.

POSS (Tulloch Family)

What circuit board are you referring to? I don't recall seeing any circuit board. Where is this board located?

Hardish

Last edited by tulihk; 07-19-05 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-20-05, 05:27 PM
Here is what happened yesterday.

I replaced the defrost timer. After the system started, I then manually switched to defrost mode. In about a minute I looked inside the freezer and was surprised to see the heater glowing red just like you see an oven glows. I don' recall seeing the heater soo red hot before. The heater stayed on for about 15-20 minutes. It had melted all of the ice that had built on the evaporator. The system then started running again. This morning it had cooled down a lot but not to the required temp. The ref is below 60 and freezer is 25 deg. Not where it should be but atleast it is working. I believe the defrost timer was the culprit. I have not watched the cycle to see if it defrosts on its own. I will do that in a day or so.

It is a manual defrost timer and therefore the timer knob does not rotate.

Hardish

Old 07-21-05, 03:17 PM
GWIZ & Joneq

I believe Heater is the culprit. How do I take the heater out to have it checked / replaced.

Thanks

Old 07-21-05, 07:10 PM
J
Are you thinking it gets too hot or stays on too long or what?

Old 07-21-05, 07:16 PM
No. It came on real strong one time when I replaced the defrost timer. Then when the ice starting to build up again, by next day, I turn on the manual defrost but the heater did not glow, in fact it does not even look like came on at all.

I am therefore assuming the heater is the culprit. I would like to take the heater out and either get it checked up or may be buy a used one to see if the ref works any better.

Old 07-21-05, 07:29 PM
G
Change the heater thermostat first, inside the freezer comp.
1-1/8" diameter two wires one going to the heater.

about $5-$12

Old 07-21-05, 07:34 PM
I was hoping to find a used one with the thermostate attached to it. If not I will just purchase a new thermostate.

Is it too much work to remove the old heater?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: