Maytag Atlantis won't spin

Old 07-16-05, 04:53 AM
DMan
Visiting Guest

Hello,

Our Maytag Atlantis MAV7600AWW wont spin. I am handy but I am unsure where I should begin to investigate. Can someone suggest a plan for what I should look for, in what order?

Old 07-16-05, 07:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not a applicance expert, but I would turn the unit on its side, or remove the cabinet, and jumper the 'imbalance' safety switch to rule out the switch. I think they are mounted on the cabinet shell are are easy to locate.

Old 07-16-05, 12:59 PM
G
The lid switches

EDIT,
Some times they fall off and you dont see them, take a good look.

Last edited by GWIZ; 07-16-05 at 01:13 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-16-05, 01:01 PM
Dag nab it! Why didn't I think of that! Duhhh!

Old 07-16-05, 05:00 PM
DMan
Visiting Guest
Well I flipped the unit on its side and saw the motor is definitely turning during the spin cycle but the basket does not turn. (I also verified that it does not spin when the washer is upright.) So the motor works, the belt is intact, but no spin action.

If the motor works, why is the basket not spinning? I tried spinning the basket by hand when the unit was off and it is VERY hard. I recall this unit had some sort of brake when you opened the lid. Could it be that the brake is stuck?

Funny, I assumed that when I flipped the unit on its side and try to spin, the motor would not work because it might detect that its unbalanced, but the motor did work. So if the motor is spinning and the pulley underneath the basket is spinning, how does the basket de-clutch from the shaft?

Thanks for your help thus far.

Last edited by DMan; 07-16-05 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 06:18 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
one direction the brake is released and the other direction is for agitation was there any resistance in 1 direction if not yhe spin bearing/cam is bad and comes in a kit with trans pulley and a new style bearing.... instructions included...

Old 07-17-05, 01:35 PM
DMan
Visiting Guest
So if this spin bearing was bad, would that allow the motor to basically free-wheel and the basket stay put?

Old 07-18-05, 05:28 PM
Yes It Would Not Engaging The Cam To Release The Brake

Old 07-19-05, 04:41 AM
DMan
Visiting Guest
Thanks BambiBlaster!

One last question. I did a search on repairclinic.com and found these two kits - one for the spin bearing, another called the transmission pulley and bearing kit. The website says if the tranny bearing is worn, it won't spin.

Which kit will I need? Will I need both? Am I missing anything?

Spin Bearing

Tranny Kit

Thanks for your help!

Old 07-19-05, 05:27 PM
should be the pulley kit only

Old 02-19-09, 04:10 PM
S

I found a way to fix the non-spin issue on my Maytag Atlantis model MAV6200AWW.

Problem: Agitates and pumps water out. Belt spins the transmissions spindle; however, tub won't spin.

Cause: Brake won't release; therefore, tub won't spin

Diagnosis:
thrust bearing look fine; however, replaced it ...didn't help
motor mount sliding; greased anyway, belt turns spindle
brake won't release; took apart brake rotor and stator...had a bit of rust on it. Lightly sanded down both rotor pads and stator, greased spindle....and after replacing thrust bearing and belt...viola! working again. The brakes had "glazed" over and held on by some rust......some tips:

Remove brake from below.. just tilt the washer 45 degress or so and work from under...use blocks to secure. Buy two 10/24 1 1/2" or longer screws and replace 2 of the 6 screws holding the brake assembly, screwing it all the way in. Remove the remaining 4 screws. Slowly back out the new longer screws a bit at a time on each side until the plate backs out...clean out brake pads by lightly sanding to remove glaze, rusts, etc. and lubricate ONLY the spindle. Keep brake parts clean. Reverse for installation.....done! Hope this helps!

Old 02-22-10, 03:44 PM
B
Maytag MAV6200AWW won't spin

sfuser,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I have the same problem. Opened the machine and tried observe how everything was working except the basket will not spin during spind cycle. Was debating what to do for several days. None of the options is easy for me to take.

After reading your post, I turned the basket by force, then closed lid briefly to observe it spun a little (with difficulty). I turned the basket again with force. Closed the lid briefly... After a few tries, the machine start working again.

Old 02-22-10, 06:14 PM
J
Originally Posted by DMan View Post
Hello,

Our Maytag Atlantis MAV7600AWW wont spin. I am handy but I am unsure where I should begin to investigate. Can someone suggest a plan for what I should look for, in what order?
1) Inspect drive belt under the washer (frayed or broken). Tip the washer--use a flashlight to check the belt and motor pulley--some were plastic pulleys and occassionally would *melt*.

2) Possible failed lid switch (but not likely).

3) The most common cause of a NO SPIN complaint on this washer is a failed transmission. Too expensive and too labor intensive for the average DIYer.

The following is from an older post...

I call this washer the *Expedient Washer*.
It was a means to an end.
Originally--the design was from the Norge brand--later it became Magic Chef.
Maytag purchased this brand as a means of offering a cheaper-to-manufacture washer under its own Maytag brand name. With a cheaper pricetag than Maytag-built machines.

The Norge-design kept getting altered or modified through the years to squeeze every penny of savings in manufacturing.
The original Norge design was far more robust than the last-of-its-kind Maytag branded machine

This washer had--for a family of four--an average useable life of 4 to 6 years.

This washer should be replaced--simply due to the weak design and very minimal return for the money spent getting it operational again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: