got melted ice cream???

Old 07-17-05, 06:35 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
got melted ice cream???

ok so for the last few months the ice cream has not been very cold coming right from the freezer. That was the only thing that was not freezing well. I thought i had too much stuff in the freezer so i put some out in the garaage upright. Still melted. Read to put bag of ice in there to keep it more cold. Did that nothing. Setting is as high as it can go. Now today the meat is soft. Got me a bum freezer.
My question is: how do i know if its shot or not? Ie. something dirty in back etc.
Inside the freezer itself the air is coming out....not real cold tho. Compressor? I do not hear "it" kick in hardly at all as it did before. any ideas out there? Or do i call the fix it guy, or buy a new one?
It came with the house. I believe it ti be a cheaper, frigidare....original for the house from 1991. Is it dead?
Thanks...mike in mn

Old 07-17-05, 06:37 PM
S
ps....if it matters...its a top side freezer.
thanks
mks

Old 07-18-05, 01:52 PM
J
Turn the ref to its coldest settings to make the compressor come on then unplug it from the wall then plug it in again right away. If the compressor starts it is likely bad. Get back with what happened.

Old 07-18-05, 03:59 PM
S
so even when i turn the fridge to the coldest setting, nothing happens. Then i unplug it and plug it back in, still nothing happens. Then as i was getting ready to type this the compressor came on. I unplugged it, and it turned off, then to plug it back in...nothing happend. I could hear the compressor trying to turn on, but nothing. Just a click, like a circuit breaker noise........ahhhh it just turned on again...seems to be working. The compressor is real hot and the tubes in back are beginning to warm.......
hhhmmmmmm.
So is the compressor shot? replace or repair? hhhmmm.
thanks....

Old 07-18-05, 04:09 PM
J
the compressor should not have started so that is good.You have black tubes on the back. Make sure they are clean. Keep the ref away from the wall for a while. If you have a fan blow some air over them. The hotter they are the warmer the freezer.

Old 07-18-05, 06:26 PM
S
ok got the unit away from the wall. Compressor is very hot. Tubes are not as warm now, they are very clean. Still have the fridge on coldest setting. That too is not real cold. Freezer still not any colder. I'll wait and see over the next few hours. Ant relation to the extreme heat we've been experiencing here in mn? Week of high 80s and low 90s, with TONS of humidity?
Thanks for your help...stay tuned....
did shop around for a new unit. About $500 for new unit of same caliber...and over $75 in rebates...hhhmmmm
mks

Old 07-18-05, 07:16 PM
J
The dial that you turn to make it colder[cold control] may not be working. If the temp is not cold enough and you turn it to the coldest setting it should turm on the compressor.They do go bad for a number of reasons. Is there a breeze in the freezer when the compressor runs?

With regard to the high temps. the black coils in the back are cooled by the air in the house. The more they cool the easier it is to make the freezer cold. High temps outside with no a.c. inside can affect the cooling. I am not familiar enough to say whether or not 90 degree temps can cause these symptoms. It is not 90 at night though and the food would freeze then I imagine.

It may be time to think about taking off the cover in front of the evaporator in the freezer. could be low on freon=leak. need to make sure all the coils are frosting up and defrosting right.

When the compressor comes on does it stay on a while.

Last edited by joneq; 07-18-05 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-18-05, 09:18 PM
S
well its hard to say if the compressor stays on. It kicks in and makes a different noise but then just kind of peters out. Sounds like something is whirling inside of it, like fluid being circulated, if that makes sense. Then occasionally i hear a click, like a cicuit breaker or something.
AS far as a breeze in the freezer. It's there all the time. And in the fridge. Turning the setting in either of the two appears to have no affect on compressor or temp of the breeze.
Should the compressor be really hot?
I just unplugged it for a while and will plug it back in to see if that does anything. I am shooting from the hip but thats how my bro in law remedied his A/C cooling problem. I guess it frosted up and then wouldnt' work.
At any rate there is condesation in the freezer and i am pretty sure that is not good.
Will have now deal with it tomorrow....remove cover as you suggested. But it;s bedtime for this ignorant appliance guy.
Thanks and good night
melting man in mn

Old 07-19-05, 07:08 AM
J
the compressor should stay on until it satifies the the temperature that the cold control has set. The fact that it doesn't is not good.The noises are even worse. Sometimes the wiring inside the compressor is no good and only after it has run a while does it stops[too hot]. Obviously it should not be doing what your is doing,strange noises and such.. Things break loose inside the compressor with age.

The compressor gets hot, but how hot is hot.You should be able to keep your hand on it for a few seconds. As I mentioned above there is a relay that turns it off it it gets too hot.

I wonder what the coils look like in the freezer. They should all have frost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: