Kenmore Dryer Condensation

Old 07-18-05, 06:04 AM
Laurie-Jean
Visiting Guest
Kenmore Dryer Condensation

I have a new dryer of a couple of months. It's a Kenmore 80 series. I first noted that when I would retreive the items from the dryer, not as promptly as I should, that the items seemed damp. At first I thought maybe they really weren't damp but rather just "cold." This morning I went to load the empty dryer and noted a puddle of water within the dryer. My dryer is located in the basement with the proper exhaust vent, vented outside. This room is probably the coldest in the house due to the air conditioning.

Do you think there is a problem with the dryer or that the condensation is because of the warm humid outside temperature in stark contrast to the cold air conditioned basement. Would leaving the dryer door open when not using the dryer resolve the "puddling" problem at the expense of the light in the dryer? If so, I guess in addition I'm forced to empty the dryer of the clothing promptly when finished? (Note: the clothes dry well...the problem of the dampness only seems to be present when I delay removal of the clothing after the cycle)

Thanks so much for your advise it's much appreciated. Great forum!

-Laurie

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-05, 03:07 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Condensation

How long is your dryer duct before it vents outside? Does it run along the floor or straight up the wall to vent? I can't imagine a puddle of water in your dryer drum unless you have a very long vent hose that goes straight up & the condensation is running back into the dryer after a drying cycle. One thing I ran into a few times is finding a low spot in the dryer vent hose where the condensation would accumulate & block the air flow. You can look for this pretty easily by lifting the hose untill you find a heavy area where the water lays. However, in that situation the customer was usually complaining that it took longer to dry the clothes. If dryer vent seems o.k. You might have to re-route it a shorter distance to eliminate condensation. Dave

Old 07-19-05, 05:59 AM
Laurie-Jean
Visiting Guest
thanks, Dave

Thanks, Dave for your reply. It cetainly gave me things to think about. The duct is a approximately 5'4" and runs straight upwards with a slight horizontal bend at the top. There's really no additional slack that I could shorten. What I did do yesterday was leave the dryer door open all day and that resulted in absolutely no condensation build-up.

In conclusion, I think your diagnosis of the condensation running back into the drum due to the strong vertical line of the duct is the accurate answer. I appreciate the time you took to respond, thanks!

I guess there will be no more slacking off of emptying the dryer when the clothes are dry.

-Laurie

Old 07-19-05, 03:46 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore

Glad to help! Did you lift up on the bottom of your hose where it hooks to dryer? Make sure its not filled with condensation. 5' 4" really isn't that long a run, however we had a dryer years ago in our cool basement with about a 6'
vent straight up that I had to constantly drain because of condensation. Dave