Roper direct drive washer doesn't spin

Old 07-26-05, 02:23 PM
fmoore
Visiting Guest
Angry Roper direct drive washer doesn't spin

Roper RAB3132EWO Direct drive washer: 5yrs old.
New coupler. New pump. Lid switch works - bypass made no difference. Fills, pumps/drains ok. Sometimes it spins - sometimes not. Spins while draining (sometimes) - should it? Sometimes stops spinning after start of spin. Is there a spin solenoid on the direct drive? If the timer or lid switch is dis-engaged while spinning, it will start spinning again if re-engaged about 95% of the time. If left alone to go through a complete wash cycle, it will frequently not spin after the rinse (and during the brief spin while rinse). Very inconsistent.
Timer problem? Gear box?

Old 07-26-05, 06:15 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Did You Notice And Oily Substance On The Inside Lower Parts Of The Cabinet And Around The Gearcase..... Possibly The Clutch Is Saturated With Oil And Slipping.....

Old 07-26-05, 06:34 PM
fmoore
Visiting Guest
bambiblaster - Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any indication of oil leaking. The clutch doesn't seem to be slipping. When it spins, it spins strong. When it doesn't spin, it doesn't even try. It just doesn't engage for whatever reason. Hit the timer control or the lid switch to stop the motor and then turn it back on and the spin engages and runs okay. Maybe it's in the timer connections.

Old 07-26-05, 06:38 PM
After Washing It Goes To Pump Out The Water,,, Does The Machine Stop And Then Restart After A Few Minutes.... If Not Then TimeR,,, If So Then A Gearcase.....

Old 07-26-05, 06:53 PM
fmoore
Visiting Guest
After washing there is a slight delay (~5 seconds) and then the pump starts draining and the tub spins as well, which I was a little surprised to see. I dont recall other washers I've had doing that but this is my first direct drive. After the wash water is removed it goes to the rinse cycle okay and then this is usually where the problem occurs. The pump will drain the rinse water but the spin never engages again. It finishes the cycle with wet clothes.

Old 07-27-05, 06:03 PM
During The Final Pmp Out Of Water If It Does Not Pause After Te Water Is Pumped Out He I Would Say Timer Is Bad... The Next Tim You Se It Draining O The Final Cycle And Water Is Out Turn Off Timer And Turn Back On (if Spins Ok Then Its Timer)

Old 07-27-05, 06:52 PM
fmoore
Visiting Guest
I hope it's the timer. I'm not going to get involved with the gear box. I'll take it off and inspect it and let you know what I find. (My wife's looking for a front loader. Not sure I want to go there.) Thanks for your help. I'm in Philly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: