Frigidaire refrigerator not cooling properly

Old 08-20-05, 03:31 PM
spiderx421
Visiting Guest
Frigidaire refrigerator not cooling properly

Here's the quick version-- I have an old Frigidaire frost free side by side refrigerator I inherited from my Great-Grandmother. It has worked great for the past few years until this summer. It just stopped cooling one day, the compressor or fan were not running. I unplugged the unit for a few days, tried again. The freezer side gets cool but not cold. I've already cleaned all
the dust and crap from the fan and coils underneath (its in my garage, lots of dust). I removed all the interior panels, found a blower motor on the freezer side. I'm not sure what this blower is for as i've never heard or seen it run. The cooling coils are right under the blower. The freezer will get cold enough to freeze a bottle of water for a few days then kick off until I reset the unit
again. But the frige side never gets cold. Anyone have any ideas how to
continue diagnosing the problem?? Thanks in advance for the help. One more thing, is it possible to bypass the self defrost mode of this frige and just
have it cool all the time?? It never stays cold in the winter. Thanks!!!

Old 08-20-05, 08:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What do you mean by this?

" The freezer will get cold enough to freeze a bottle of water for a few days then kick off until I reset the unit
again."

1]if the fan under the ref is not working replace it. It needs to cool the coils that you cleaned or the unit will be warmer than it should be.Possibly that is all you need,but here is some more stuff

2]Is there a blower or a fan above the coils inthe freezer,and does it ever run

3]Did you take the panels off with the ref running and what did the coils look like?

3A] Any ice on the coils?
3B]was there frost on all the coils

4]Is it constantly running?

5]Where is the cold control set at?

6]What is the model #?

Old 08-21-05, 09:40 AM
spiderx421
Visiting Guest
Sorry, The question wasn't as clear as I thought. After I cleaned underneath the unit, it started cooling on the freezer side. I placed a bottle of water in it to judge how cold it was. Overnight, the water froze. a few days later, I checked it again and the fridge was not running and completely thawed.
I had to unplug it for a few hours, and it started working again.
The fan under the fridge is running. The fan inside above the coils never runs, this may be my problem, as i'm not sure of the purpose of this fan. The interior panels are off, the cooling coils are frosted and very cold. No ice, just frost. The controls are set to the coldest settings.
model number is FPCI-203V-8. I've tried looking for service manuals on a few different websites, buth this model # would not come up. It must be pretty old.

Thanks again for your help!!

Old 08-21-05, 10:20 AM
J
The evaporator fan that doesn't work blows the cold air into the freezer and then into the ref. It is supposed to run when the compressor is on.I assume that if you never saw any ice that the ref is defrosting properly. I would get a new evaporator fan tomorrow.

You can google ---how to test evaporator fan motor-- to see how to test it.. There are pics available that make it easier than to explain it here. You will need to know if it is ac or dc and what rotation it has cw or ccw.

Old 08-21-05, 11:39 AM
G
Some refrigerators have a fan switch that turns on the fan when you shut
the door.
That switch can go bad.

Old 08-22-05, 06:46 PM
spiderx421
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the pointers!! I removed the fan and found the motor was bad.
I ordered one today, hopefully it'll be in this week. Only $29. One more question, Can I bypass the defrost timer and have the fridge run all the time
like a deep freeze? Since its in the garage, it acts up in the winter time.
I know I'll have to manually defrost it now and then. Do you think its worth
the trouble??

Thanks again,
Sean

Old 08-23-05, 12:59 AM
G
"Can I bypass the defrost timer"
That's not going to help.

"It never stays cold in the winter"

Most (but not all) refrigerators with freezer's
Have a thermostatic switch in the refrigerator compartment.
When the refrigerator compartment temperature goes above, about 45 deg.
the pump starts, the freezer compartment will then get colder.
a small fan blows the cold air from the freezer into the refrigerator compartment.

If the refrigerator compartment stays below about 40 deg the pump will not start and the freezer will not freeze.

To test this warm up the refrigerator compartment above 45 deg. and see if the pump starts.
But if it is in the defrost timer mode it will not start, you will need to wait about, say 1 hour for the defrost timer to return power back to the pump.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: