Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Working! Won't Get Cold!

Old 08-28-05, 09:48 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire Refrigerator Not Working! Won't Get Cold!

Yesterday we moved the fridge to replace a part of the floor in the kitchen. We had it on an extension cord which started to heat up. Now the motor pump turns on for a little bit then turns off and it makes a buzzing sound. The fan in the back that cools the motor pump isn't working either. Even when the motor pump try's to turn on. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Email:Patch97236@yahoo.com

Last edited by Patch97236; 08-28-05 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 08:12 AM
J
I would go here and look to test the compressor and then the condenser fan motor. It is more efficient to do it this way than to post back and forth.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...essorrelay.php

Old 08-29-05, 01:54 PM
P
That link didn't really help because I couldn't find anything that resembled that. But the fan in the back is actually working, something was unplugged. When I plug in the fridge the heat pump starts making a buzzing sound like it's trying to start. Then I hear the click of a switch or something like that and then the heat pump turns off. I'm not sure if there isn't enough freon. If so how would I find out if there is enough freon? And is there anything I could do? Thanks!

P.S. When I moved the fridge I think I was suppose to let it sit for a hour, and when I had it on an extension cord the heat pump became really hot. So I'm not sure if that affected the heat pump.

Old 08-29-05, 02:06 PM
J
That's not a heat pump it's a compressor. Use the link to test the thing on your ref that got hot.

What is the make and model # of your unit.

Not all compressors look the same. There is something wrong with yours. It could be the relay or the start capacitor[helps the compressor to start] or the windings inside the compressor itself. Sometimes when the compressor tries to start and cant the wires heat up and move if there is a broken winding[wire] it may not manifest itself until the compressor heats up.

there is a possibility you could use one of these if the problem is not inside the compressor.

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...PP10%29%2Ehtml

Old 08-29-05, 03:14 PM
P
Model: FRS24WRA
P/N: 215164404

Old 08-29-05, 03:30 PM
J
go here and look at part # 29=compressor, 30 31 32 and 55. those are the compressor and the relay and the capacitor. They need to be checked. Go to the acme site and find out how. Watch out for the capacitor it is dangerous and unplugging the ref does not make it safe.. Maybe bring the parts to the appliance parts center for them to test.

http://www.partselect.com/Schematics...e/489F2TOU.gif

Old 08-31-05, 06:48 PM
P
Today I went to a parts center to get parts # 30 31 32 and 55 tested, but they couldn't test it there. There was a technician there who told us we could replace those parts with a 3 n' 1 start (Solid State Relay Overload Start Capacitor Combination) device. We connected everything according to the diagram on the package that the 3 n' 1 start came in. At first the fridge was working perfectly, but then the compressor started to heat up and the buzzing sound came back. Then after a couple of seconds thereís a click and the compressor shuts off, but the fan stays on constantly. So Iím not sure if itís the compressor or something else. Now whenever I plug in the fridge it run's normal but then in a couple of seconds the buzzing sound comes back and then a click and the compressor shut's down.

P.S. I scanned the packing with the diagram that the ď3 ní1 StartĒ came in, and I can email it to you.

Old 08-31-05, 08:12 PM
J
Here is what I posted before'

"there is a possibility you could use one of these if the problem is not inside the compressor.

http://www.azpartsmaster.com/shopazp...PP10%29%2Ehtml

It is a good alternative if the problem is not in the compressor itself.

I have to think that when you were running it on the extension cord it was running so hot that some of the insulation on one of the windings came off and is cuasing overheating or a short or something. you need to test the compressor motor.Go here.

http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...compressor.php

How old is this refrigerator?

Old 08-31-05, 10:10 PM
P
Isn't the "3 n'1 Start RC0410 1/4-1/3 H.P. 115V" almost the same as the one in the first link?

And I have a tester with OHMS testing ablilities, but the thing is that it only has RX1K and RX10 options on it. On acmehowto they said to put the setting to X1 only. Is that the same thing or does it matter? And I tested with RX1K and RX10 and they all came out to Zero OHMS. The fridge is not that old. We've had it for a while, but not that long, and it's still in good condition.

Old 09-01-05, 04:13 PM
J
Sorry I missed the email notification. I said this in post #4.

"Sometimes when the compressor tries to start and cant the wires heat up and move if there is a broken winding[wire] it may not manifest itself until the compressor heats up."

Does the ref start up with the 3in1 hooked up and then after running a while stop?
How long does it run before cutting out.

make sure the condenser under the refrigerator is clean, and that there is the correct voltage at the wall outlet=120 volts[approximate]

When the compressor was running hot with the extension cord something could have broken off inside it and a blockage could be occurring at the capilliary tube[small tube that goes into the evaporator[coils in the freezer behind the removable panel.

Last edited by joneq; 09-02-05 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-02-05, 02:24 PM
P
The compressor does start with the 3 n' 1 Start. It runs for about four or five minutes, then there's the buzzing sound for a minute, then a click sound and the compressor shuts down. Then after that each time the compressor try's to start up it will start up for a couple of second then the buzzing sound and then right away a click then it shuts off. Then when I leave the fridge unplugged for a while then plug it back in the same proccess happens again.

P.S. During those first five minutes it sound like the it's pushing freon, but then towards the end it doesn't have enough freon, like it's pushing on less freon or no freon and the buzzing sound comes and then it shuts off.

Old 09-02-05, 02:33 PM
J
There is a panel in the freezer in front of where the fan is. Take it off. wait till you think the compressor will run for the 5 minutes then plug it in and look at the coils See if there is any frost forming on the coils.

Last edited by joneq; 09-02-05 at 03:39 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: