I have a Fridgidaire question too

Old 09-03-05, 10:20 AM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
I have a Fridgidaire question too

My Fridgidaire fridge is about 3-4 years old. I have found the freezer frosting up in the back, and then the fridge will get up to about 55-66 degrees. I'm assuming the cold air is not getting down there, to keep the fridge cold. I'm no expert on fridgerators.But can someone tell me if that fan in the freezer is supposed to run 24/7. I think maybe the thermostat is broke ? I've been defrosting it..and then the fridge will get back to normal, and then the frost comes back. As a temp...fix ..i'm fixing to put an appliance timer into the wall, and then plug it in that way.. HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-03-05, 02:42 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Could be many things.What is the model #.

The fan should not be running all the time. only till the desired temp is reached, which,in your case, only happens after you defrost it manually.. It runs when the compressor runs. Is you compressor runnung 24/7 too.

The frost is building up and preventing the cold air from flowing over the coils so no air is moving. This happens a few days after you defrost the freezer manualy.

The cold air from thef reezer flows into the ref to cool it. No air flow in freezer =no cold ref.

Need the model # to tell if you have adaptive defrost=no timer or regular with timer.

Old 09-03-05, 03:14 PM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
model #

#frt21lr7ab4

Old 09-03-05, 04:37 PM
J
A computer board ADM controls your defrost. Look at this page and you will see what I mean.

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrame...pliance&Mark=7

The box on the left where it says defrost heater cold control is the adaptive defrost module[printed circuit board]

As you can see when it is time to refrost the computer connects 120 volts to the heater through the thermostat[which olt passes current when it is very cold in the freezer]. It defrosts the evaporator for maybe 20 mins and then in maybe 10 minutes the compressor turns on to cool again.

It is either the module itself or the thermostat or the heater. If you have the users manual handy see if there is anything in it about putting the ref into defrost mode manually.If there is do it and see if the heaters come on. You will hear the heaters sizzleing[if there is ice on the coils] if they are working.Try this first.

To test the heater alone[unplug the ref and disconnect the wires from the ends of the heater and check for continuity. If there is continuity[a very low reading] it is either the module or the thermostat.

What is the condition of the coils now? do they have frost on them? is it time to defrost or have you done it recently? Are ther directions to put it in defrost mode manually.

If so you will have to wait till there is significant frost on the coils[or jumper it] so the thermostat will close or be taken out of the circuit.It is a safety feature so that the ref will not defrost if it is not cold enough to make frost on the coils.

If you can put it into defrost mode manually and it doesn't come on do it again with the thermostat jumpered and if it comes on then you know it is the thermostat. Of course you need to know the heater is good beforehand.

If the heater is good and the thermostat is jumpersed and you can put it into defrost mode manually and it doesn't come on it is the ADM that is bad.

See if you can find out how to put it into defrost mode manually.

Last edited by joneq; 09-03-05 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-03-05, 05:31 PM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
!

Will do...I got the manual handy and will look thru it also ! Give you an update tomorrow !

Old 09-05-05, 11:04 AM
J
Mistakenly said that there is a thermostat in your freeze it is a thermistor that is used with the ADM units. I assume you got the thing fixed one way or the other.

Old 09-06-05, 12:14 PM
Silicone
Visiting Guest
it's

it's acting funny... somedays, it will shut off, and the freezer seems normal.. other days, it sounds like the freezer is running forever..But I don't have time to sit there and listen to it all the time. So I just look at the frost build up, and un plug it, when I have to.

Old 09-06-05, 01:08 PM
J
try to see if you can put it in defrost mode manually. It may be in the book or call the manufacturer. It may be as simple as flicking the light switch on 5 times in 6 seconds[I think frigidaire works like this]

At te very least the next time you defrost it check the heater for continuity. Unplug the ref first. It is inexpensive to replace.

To replace everything it might be is about $120 +shipping Adm$65---heater$30----thermostat$17

Is anyone else having probs viewing this thread. I have no word wrap. Scrolling my brains out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: