Can a dirty condensor coil cause icing...

Old 09-06-05, 07:18 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can a dirty condensor coil cause icing...

...up of the evaporator coil? I thought about posting this question on the Fridgidaire thread, because I have a side-by-side Fridgidaire ref / freezer. It is about 1 1/2 years old. I had never cleaned the condensor coil, located under the freezer. The users manual stated one of the causes of the ice maker not working and the inside temps too warm being a dirty condensor coil, I vacuumed the coil clean. We have dogs in the house, and the coil (plus the air "intake" behind the unit) were fairly clogged with dust. I plugged it back in and waited a couple hours and determined it still wasn't working. I then noticed ice on the back wall of the freezer, on the cover of the evaporator coil. I removed the cover and the coil was completely frosted up. I defrosted the coil with a hair dryer, plugged the unit back up, and it's working fine now. While I had the coil exposed, I checked continuity of the defrost element and had it. There is a limit switch (?) that is factroy wired in that I didn't check, and I couldn't find the defrost timer.

I'm hoping that a condensor coil that's heavily clogged with dust & lint might cause an evaporator coil to freeze up before the defrost timer calls for defrosting. Any chance of that, or do I more than likely have a bad timer?

Old 09-06-05, 02:22 PM
J
See thread in this forum "I have a frigidaire question too". It is similar to your problem I think.

Old 09-06-05, 02:53 PM
M
I read through that thread. My question was not answered. The question I'm asking is:

Can a dirty condensor coil cause the evaporator coil to freeze up? My manual says that a dirty condensor coil can cause the freezer and refrigerator temperatures to be too warm, which was my problem. So by cleaning my condensor coil (which was polluted with lint), is it possible I may have fixed the problem, or is my problem completely unrelated to the condensor coil.

Old 09-06-05, 03:43 PM
J
no the Dirty condenser cannot make that happen.It could make it warmer Than it should be in both the freezer and the ref though.

When the freon flows through the ciols in the freezer it picks up heat and when that heat gets to the condenser it is released through the coils. If the coils are filthy the heat cannot escape efficiently and the freon cannot pick up as much heat in the future thus warming the freezer and consequently the ref.

What is the prob? icemaker or too much frost. The temp in the freezer should be like 0 and the temp in the ref should be less than 40. If these temps exist and that freezer is defrosting the icemaker itself is the problem.

You mentioned that you cleaned everything and the icemaker still did not work. You also mentioned the evaporator was COMPLETELY frosted up.

What is the make and model. you may not have a defrost timer. See if the manual says anything about adaptive defrost and how you can initiate it manually.

Old 09-07-05, 06:17 AM
M
I cleaned the condensor coil AND defrosted the evaporator coil and everything is working fine now, including the icemaker. Apparently, the reason the ice make wasn't working was because it wasn't cold enough in the freezer.

Is it possible for the evaporator coil to freeze up (and not automatically defrost) if the freezer and / or refrigerator door is left open too long? I have two young kids and I frequently find one of the doors slightly open.

It's a Fridgidaire Model #FRS26HF7BW0. I found a wiring diagram underneath when I was cleaning the coils, and it does have an adaptive defrost. I couldn't find it underneath the unit, so I assume it's under the temperature control housing. There are some recessed bolts attaching the housing, and I tried a 1/4" and 3/16" nut driver but couldn't turn them and I gave up. Maybe the bolts are 1/8" of 5/32"?

Old 09-07-05, 06:31 AM
J
Leaving the door open for an extended period of time will let warm moist air in and cause icing. The ADM defrosts the freezer more often when it senses the door is being opened a lot[kids don't open the freezer to much I don't think though] Hopefully there is no need to fool with anything else. Wait and see

Old 09-07-05, 06:36 AM
M
There are popsicles hidden behind those doors, and the kids know it. Leaving the door open wouldn't be the same as opening & closing the doors repeatedly, would it? I'm guessing the ADM monitors the door switch?

Also, how long does it take the evaporator coil to frost up and create the problem I was experiencing before if the defrost system is not working?

Old 09-07-05, 07:46 AM
J
Hard to tell Maybe 3 0r 4 days.If you check them in 3 days and they are icing up that is not good[obviously]. Put the cover on in the meantime.

The ADM monitors many things the door is just one part of the equation.Some people who never really use the freezer much could only have it defrost every couple of days as opposed to a timer which will defrost it every 8 hrs or so whether it needs it or not. It is more of an energy saving feature than anything else imo.

Old 09-07-05, 08:00 AM
M
Thanks for the input. If it freezes up again. I assume it would probably be one of 3 things - the defrost element, the 2-wire thermostat, thermister, limit switch, or whatever that device is mounted on the evaporator coil, or the ADM. I checked for straight continuity (not resistance) on the element and had it. What does the 2-wire device monitor? Does it turn the element on or off? Just trying to see if I can rule it out in my situation. I guess the ADM must be mounted behind the temp control cover? Is that an easy replacement?

Old 09-07-05, 08:55 AM
J
the 2 wire thin is another safety feature. It will turn the heater off if it is too warm in the freezer.If it is broke it will prevent the heater from coming on ever.It looks like it behind the cover where the dials are in the ref. look here Part # 23

http://www.partselect.com/ModelFrame...pliance&Mark=1

Again with the word wrap problem. Is this happening to you. Scrolling sideways to see the posts

Last edited by joneq; 09-12-05 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-07-05, 09:28 AM
M
Thanks for the link. Apparently, the "limit switch" could be the problem OR it might be the adaptive timer. Which is more likely?

Do you know how long parts like the timer are covered by warranty? The refrigerator is only a year and a half old.

Old 09-07-05, 09:51 AM
J
usually if it is not the sealed system[where the freon flows through the tubing + the compressor] it is 1 year. I would make a stink and try to get it done for free. If you fool with anything this will make it virtually impossible to get it done for free especially if it is out of warranty.

If they will not do it for free it will be cheaper to replace both parts yourself.

If they will not do it for free I would not hesitate to tell them you are at this forum and zillions are watching to see how they handle this..

They may say they will do it for just the parts so go to the partsselect[get prices] site and let them know you know how much you can get them for. They may charge you like double.

Is the freezer icing up or is this just precautionary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: