GE Potscrubber 640 dishwasher detergent cup won't latch

Old 09-29-05, 06:42 AM
johnMmphs
Visiting Guest

The detergent cup on my GE Potscrubber 640 dishwasher won't latch. If you close it, it swings open. I removed the door, but can't figure out what makes it latch. Tell me what do I do to repair? Thkx!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-06, 05:30 AM

I've run into the identical problem. I'm new to this forum and if you could direct me to any information you received to this question, I would be very grateful. Thanks.

Old 09-30-06, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the DIY forums Morty/Eddelleh

I am no pro but I did some research on GE dishwashers in general. Here's what I found directly from there site in the FAQ section found here:

http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/faqs/

"The Dishwasher Soap Cup Will Not Close

* For models with a timer knob and a "turn-to-close" detergent cup, check to see if the timer has advanced to the "OFF" position. Models with a timer knob must be in the "OFF" position for the detergent cup to close. Turn the control knob from the off position, clockwise, all the way around, and back to the "OFF" position. Then try again to close the cup.

* For models with a "turn-to-close" detergent cup and an electronic timer, press the "START" pad once. After about 10 seconds, press the "START" pad again. This will reset the control. The detergent cup should now lock shut.

* For electronic models with a push to close detergent cup, check to be sure the cup is not overfilled with powdered detergent. If it is, remove the excess detergent. If using a detergent tablet, be sure the tablet is not so large as to prevent closure of the cup cover. If it is, reposition the tablet or break it into smaller pieces.

Note: The detergent dispenser can be opened without running through the entire cycle. On models with a "turn-to-close" cup, simply twist the detergent cup handle counterclockwise. On models with a "push-to-close" detergent cup, depress the white lever below the bottom edge of the cup and the door will flip open."

If this doesn't help, please check back as other and/or the pros may be of better assistance. Hope this helps.

Old 10-11-06, 05:21 AM
Smile GE Potscrubber 640 dishwasher detergent cup won't latch

I hope this reaches the person who responded to my question. Thank you VERY much for your advice. I've done a quick test and it works!!

Morty/Eddelleh

Old 10-11-06, 05:50 AM
Thanks for letting us know it worked! I'm glad it worked out I just did the research. GE did instructions well.

Congrats on getting it fixed!

Old 09-18-10, 01:23 PM
Smile potscrubber 640 soap dish door wont close

I just repaired that on my ps 640. The problem was that the anchor for the spring on the inside of the front door had fatigued off. The first step is to remove the plastic molding that forms the inside of the door. This requires removal of 4 or 6 screws on the side of the door. I found the spring in the bottom of the door in the soap gook. I also found a little brown plastic tit down in the gook that turned out to be the cause of the problem. I cant remember for sure if i had to free the timer from its place. I remember that i did, i just cant remember if it was required to get down to the latching arm.

I had to remove the little stack of plastic things to get down to the bottom where the latching arm was. It is about a 9 inch arm with teeth looking things on the end. It is supposed to be spring loaded against the soap dish door. It was not, so all i did was just lifted off items until i got to the arm. look for where the spring tit broke off. once off i found where the spring hooked around the latch arm and then found where the post had been that cracked off. I took a small drill and drilled a hole thru the supporting web that was holding the pin, put the spring thru that hole and fastened the other end to the end of the latching arm, put it all back together and it worked.

One problem as i was opening up and removing the plastic molding that forms the inside of the door, a steel rod (flat) fell off and i never found where it went, but when i put the door back together it all has been working for 3 months so far without the bar. I think the bar was either a weight to help the door stay down, or a stiffener, in either case there is no problem without it so far.

Old 02-12-11, 07:57 PM
Fixed mine the same way as bsenske on my potscrubber 600 ...

the key was to find where a post had broken off.....it was a little more confusing to me since another unrelated plastic post had also fallen off(I could see a small little plastic piece), but didn't see the missing post that the spring needed to hook onto. The latch on the inside of the door needed to be pulled down by the spring to hook to an area near the broken post...drilling a tiny hole seemed to do the trick nicely so problem won't reoccur.

hope this helps someone

Old 01-13-13, 10:04 AM
Talking Thank you!

My Kenmore dishwasher's soap dispenser was stuck closed. When I got it unstuck, it wouldn't latch and was stuck open. I followed bsenske's directions. My problem was a little bit different in that the post holding the spring was not broken; it was just worn. The notch that is supposed to keep the spring in place was worn to the point that the spring just kept sliding off. I drilled the hole, and it is working perfectly! I feel like a regular Bob Villa. Thanks!

Old 02-19-13, 04:53 PM
Deleted

Last edited by jim2geo; 02-19-13 at 05:16 PM. Reason: duplicated when edited
Old 02-19-13, 05:06 PM
Yay Internet!!

Its amazing to discover other people trying to fix 25 year old stuff.

After the inside door cover assembly is removed the only items which have to be removed to do the spring hole solution are the big black plastic cover over the timer and the timer.

The cover is not screwed down but tabs in its base interlock with the door cover and have to be squeezed toward the door center to remove the cover.