metal hasp to lock freezer

Old 10-09-05, 07:18 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
metal hasp to lock freezer

Hello,

I have an old freezer I use in the garage. Someone left it open by accident and defrosted all of the contents. I would like to screw on a metal hasp to lock the freezer.

Is it alright to screw on a metal hasp to the exterior of a freezer? I plan on screwing the metal screws about half an inch deep.

Thanks,

Joey

Old 10-09-05, 08:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
Joey,

Not such a great idea.
There are refrigerant lines welded to the inside of the cabinet, right where your screws would go.

I don't don't repair home fridges but often hear stories that begin with.........."I drilled a hole to install a lock in my freezer and you'll never guess what happened."

Old 10-10-05, 04:13 AM
Does your freezer not have a lock on it already that you can take and get re-keyed??

By the way. My kids have left the deep freeze cracked open more than once. I know the feeling.

Old 10-10-05, 10:53 AM
C
metal hasp to freezer

No, this is an old; but in working condition stand up freezer. It doesn't even have a handle, just the front door that swings open. Do you think I can screw a hasp onto it?

Thanks,

Joey

Old 10-10-05, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 48 Posts
One thing I forgot to mention is there is available a temperature monitor for home fridges and freezers.
It uses a probe stuck into the freezer compartment and a small box you can stick to the outside wall of the freezer.
When the inside temp rises it sets off a buzzer to warn you.
I can't recommend a place for you to get one but if you call an appliance parts store they may steer you in the right direction.

I bought 25 of these to resell a number of years ago when I use to repair household fridges and freezers but they really were a hard sell. Seems people would rather risk ANOTHER failure than spend the 40 dollars or so.
I've since used them up after adapting them to commercial use.
They have saved my commercial customers literally tens of thousands of dollars in preventing frozen food losses.

Old 10-10-05, 12:20 PM
Besides a refrigerant line there may also be a strip heater in the door for condensation.

You're taking a 50/50 chance if you drill into it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: