electric stove/oven triggers breaker after a few minutes

Old 10-15-05, 08:49 AM
luanatic
Visiting Guest
electric stove/oven triggers breaker after a few minutes

I think I have a problem with either my stove/oven or with the electrical wiring to my stove/oven.

A few days ago I turned on 3 burner elements and after about ~10-15 minutes it triggered the breaker. So I reset the breaker and nothing happen. Still no power to the stove/oven. After a couple of minutes of resetting the breaker, with no luck I decide to reset the entire house circuit. I was able to get power back to the stove/oven again.

Just last night I was pre-heating my oven for about 5 minutes and the breaker triggered again. I tried resetting the stove/oven breaker with no success. Then I immediately reset the entire house circuit, and still no power to the stove/oven. After a few minutes of resetting both the stove/oven breaker and the entire house circuit the stove evenutally got power back again.

Then I was able to pre-heat the oven and cook for over 20 minutes without any problems.

Can anymore tell me where I should start to troubleshoot the problem?

FYI: I don't think there is any fuses in the stove/oven itself. Not that I can tell anyways.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-05, 11:51 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
maybe a model # would be helpful.

Old 10-15-05, 12:48 PM
G
You need to establish which breaker your tripping
Assuming your stove breaker is say 40 amps and not tripping, then your stove is not the problem, with the exception if you have a federal pacific panel, the FP breakers may not trip.

If your tripping your main breaker say 100 amp, and you don't have a FP panel.
Then your main breaker maybe weak or you have to many items running and over loading the breaker.
Or a short in the panel.
The smaller breakers normally trip before the large main breaker. some times by resetting the smaller breaker the main breaker may trip because your preventing the smaller breaker from tripping a second time as your are resetting it with your hand.

If you tripping the main breaker more then likely your going to loose power in half the house at the same time.

So which breaker are you tripping ?
The stove breaker.
Or one of the main house breakers.

Old 10-15-05, 01:26 PM
luanatic
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying.

I am not quite sure what the model number is but its a Whirlpool Self Cleaning Oven. Where can I find the model number on the unit? (Sorry, it was a previously own one).

Sorry not being more clear. I am tripping the Stove breaker. Everything in the house still runs except for the stove when it trips.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-05, 04:12 PM
J
Just though it would be nice to see if the oven had a fuse 'cause if it does and it don't blow,but the breaker does, I would suspect the breaker. If there is a wiring diagram it may have the model on it,it would show the fuse where the wires just go in to the back..

Old 10-16-05, 06:48 AM
D
Question tripping breaker

I just had the same problem with my 40 amp breaker to my electric dryer. I swapped the dryer breaker with the 40 amp stove breaker.[ I have a gas stove, so this breaker is not being used.] The other breaker does not trip anymore. seemed to me like a weak or faulty breaker.the fact that you have tokill the main to reset tripped breaker would also make me suspicous of stove breaker. KILL main before changing out breakers and stay away from hot feed in. I'd be courious to your results, especially because when I posted my problem I didn't get any responces. Good luck.

Old 10-18-05, 11:44 AM
Happymatt
Visiting Guest
Breakers are a safety device. When there is an unsafe amount of current traveling through the wires the breaker shuts the power off. Breakers shut off for a reason. You have a problem.

I had a problem like this with my stove and I used a clamp on Amp-meter to help solve the problem. The meter will give you the current draw of the stove in amps while the stove is working. Just start turning on elements and watch the reading go up. Compare the reading to the Amp rating of the breaker. If the reading is within one amp of the breaker then you have a problem with the stove. If the reading is under 5 amps of the breaker the breaker is at fault.
I hope that helps. Any more problems let us know

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: