Dryer vent hose location

Old 10-18-05, 10:16 AM
NurseFoxfire
Visiting Guest
Dryer vent hose location

We recently moved into a modular home (assembled in 1989). The dryer didn't dry my first load of clothes, so I checked the dryer vent tube going into the wall and down into the floor. turns out it's all clogged with dead birds, mud wasp nests, etc.... plus the actual hose down there is all cracked and splitting.

I tried wiggling under the house itself to find the end of the thing to pry it out, but it's inaccessable (but that's a different story).

For the time being, and with three loads of laundry to dry, I simply opened the slit window in the laundry room (it's about 5' off the floor) and ran a new 10' long dryer vent hose out the window from the dryer itself. It worked, my clothes came out nice and dry and fluffy.

A plumber was out the other day for an unrelated problem and noticed my dryer hose in the window (I have since duct-taped a piece of screening around it, and over the window opening to prevent bugs and birds from getting in). He said that having a dryer hose sticking out like that "puts strain on the dryer", and I shouldn't do that long-term.

Is he correct? What happens to the dryer if I do that? And assuming I can't replace the vent in the floor, how much time before my dryer burns out?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-05, 12:12 PM
Happymatt
Visiting Guest
The 10 feet of hose length should not be a problem as long as you are not crushing the hose in any way. The diameter of the hose should stay constant through the whole length. The screening is not a good idea as the small mesh will collect the lint coming out of the dryer. The out-side end of the vent needs a flap on it not screening. Go buy a flap made for dryer venting and attach it to the end of the hose.
I hope that helps. Any more questions just ask us.

Old 10-18-05, 12:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

If you can run the vent to a window there. Get the flipper vent that is made for the drier outlet and cut it in down near the floor in the wall there by the window.

ED

Old 10-18-05, 12:58 PM
NurseFoxfire
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ed Imeduc
If you can run the vent to a window there. Get the flipper vent that is made for the drier outlet and cut it in down near the floor in the wall there by the window.

ED
so you're saying to cut a hole in the wall under the window and vent the dryer that way?

p.s. I'll remove the screen and install a flapper on the end of the hose, thanks for the warning

Old 10-18-05, 02:58 PM
Wink

We vent them all the time like that. Get the flipper pipe and just cut the hole for it to slip[ into the wall from outside. Nail it and put the vent pipe on it inside.

ED

Old 08-05-09, 04:20 PM
P
Originally Posted by Happymatt View Post
The 10 feet of hose length should not be a problem as long as you are not crushing the hose in any way. The diameter of the hose should stay constant through the whole length. The screening is not a good idea as the small mesh will collect the lint coming out of the dryer. The out-side end of the vent needs a flap on it not screening. Go buy a flap made for dryer venting and attach it to the end of the hose.
I hope that helps. Any more questions just ask us.
We bought a dryer today and we spent over 3 hours trying to attach the hose to the ouside vent and dryer. The dryer is in the basement and to reach the vent we have to stand on a stool and try to attach this 4 inch hose to a 4 inch pipe and then clamp it down. It just didnt work. We tried to different types of hoses and bought a new vent plus inserts for the hose. Nothing works. Is there a 5 ich hose available where this migt be acomplished?

Old 08-05-09, 05:38 PM
Foil Tape - Aluminum Foil Tapes - Acrylic Adhesive

use some metal foil tape. dont use duct tape on dryer ducts as it will quickly lose adhesion and fall off