Does size matter? (dryer belt)

Old 10-19-05, 04:45 PM
Melvey
Visiting Guest
Does size matter? (dryer belt)

I went to the parts store & the clerk gave me a belt that he said would fit my Maytag Dryer. The broken belt I showed him is 5 ribs wide. The belt he gave me has only 3 ribs. He said it should work. I installed it with the rib side out per Maytag directions. Then I tested it before I closed up the cabinet and it ran fine. But when we threw in a load of wet clothes, the belt slips & doesn't turn the drum.
My guess is that size does matter & the 3 rib belt does not provide enough gripping power (less belt to drum surface contact) to turn the drum loaded with wet clothes.
Would this analogy be correct? I want to be sure I tell the appliance part clerk the correct issue when I take the 3 rib belt back & tell him I need a 5 rib belt.
Thanks !

Old 10-19-05, 05:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer belt

Yes, size does matter. ( Belts & other things ). The ribs on the belt match up on the ribs on the pulley shaft for just the reason you stated. Good grib to start drum with a load of wet clothes. Take along the old belt & dryer model #
to be sure you get the correct replacement. Also, make sure the ribs side of the belt is what goes around the pulley. Dave

Old 10-20-05, 05:27 AM
Melvey
Visiting Guest
< Also, make sure the ribs side of the belt is what goes around the pulley. Dave >
Hi Dave,
Thanks for your response. Rib side goes around spring loaded pulley and not motor shaft pulley, is that correct. Somewhere on this site I read where Maytag belts are installed rib side out around the drum, and therefore it would wrap around the tenson pulley rib side down. Is that correct?
Much Thanks . . .
Rick in Cleveland

Old 10-20-05, 01:30 PM
D
Dryer belt

Hopefully someone else on this site can verify or correct me, but every belt I ever installed with ribs had the rib side going around the motor shaft pulley
matching up with the grooves on the pulley. Is Maytag an exception?? Dave

Old 10-20-05, 05:28 PM
Melvey
Visiting Guest
Hi Dave,
Here's a web site that indicates that for Maytag single belt dryer, flat side of belt goes against drum. See diagram E at below site. Hope someone can confirm! Thanks . . . Rick in Cleveland

http://www.repairclinic.com/0079.asp

Old 10-20-05, 05:53 PM
D
Dryer belt

That makes sense to me. After it goes around the tensioner the rib side would be on your motor pulley. Thats how I would install it. Dave

Old 10-21-05, 10:48 AM
Melvey
Visiting Guest
What's odd is that everything I read about a Maytag belt is that that smooth side faces the drum. All diagrams I've found show the tension pulley being lower than the motor, so if belt is looped over drum & pulley smooth side down, then the ribbed side would run around the motor, which makes sense.
But on my Maytag, the motor is lower than the tension pulley, so if I run the smooth side over the drum, the smooth side then also loops over the motor, and the rib side faces the tension pulley, which seems wrong. It would seem that the rib side must face the motor for better traction/grip, that seems to make more sense. I have to pick the belt up later, so I am going to install it with the rib side running over the motor shaft.
Thanks for all of your help!
How can something so simple be so confusing ! !

Old 10-21-05, 01:19 PM
D
Dryer belt

Thats how I would install it. Maybe on different models with a different tensioner arrangement the belt goes the other way. But as I said before, all the belts I ever installed had the rib side going against the pulley shaft. Anyhow, guess we debated this enough. Have a good weekend. Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: