washer/dryer when to replace?

Old 10-31-05, 10:00 AM
DVETS
Visiting Guest
washer/dryer when to replace?

I have a sears washer and dryer. Both are 10 years old and working well (knock on wood).
would new models be more energy efficient, is it(the savings) worth the investment.
10 years ago we had 1 child, now we have 3, needless to say we are doing more laundry.

any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 10-31-05, 11:33 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Most people I know would agree that newer appliances are not made as well as older ones. If what you have is currently meeting your needs, I would not consider replacing them until they break.

Old 12-03-05, 05:06 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think I know anyone who has ever saved a dime by replacing a working appliance with the hope of reducing energy usage... except for may an ancient furnace for a new 90%+ efficiency furnace. But as for home appliances after replacing nearly every appliance in my home (as they went bad) I've not noted ANY reduction in energy usage. I'm in the market for a dryer (just bought a new one today at Sears) and the technology is basically the same as in my 26 yr old worn out junker. It uses the same motor to turn the drum, it uses the same heating element to warm the air to circulate thru the clothes. The only real difference is on some of today's upgraded models you get variable heat settings instead of cooking everything at the same temp, whether this translates into actual savings is still up for grabs but I wouldn't count on it.

If I added up all the money I should be saving by getting all of my new appliances The local utility company should be writing me checks each month by now....but it just doesn't seem to work that way.

Old 12-07-05, 08:40 PM
HomeBody2U
Visiting Guest
My $.02

I would agree with the others who've posted here...you're not likely to gain much by replacing something that works well.

Exception: Refrigerators. I got rid of a 1971 Hotpoint 17 cu. ft. side-by-side and replaced it with an Amana top freezer model of about the same capacity. My electric bills dropped by about 40%.

Old 12-08-05, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 67 Votes on 56 Posts
You must have bought yours about the same time as I did, Dave. So far, so good. The dryer was getting a little squeeky, so I ordered all new rollers, bearings, belt, etc. and did a mini-overhaul. Works like new. Of the two, I'm sure the dryer would have the longer life-expectancy.

Old 12-08-05, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have told a landlord that in my opinion, one should always keep putting replacement parts in a dryer, as long as the dryer looks good. They are very easy for me to work on and I can have parts all over the floor and get it all back together pretty fast, so he isn't out much labor. The parts are never too bad. Basically a dryer is a big box with the bulk of the space taken up by the hollow drum. You have your motor, bearing design (may or may not have rolers), motor belt, blower, controls, some operating and safety switches. And if the older dryer has some rusty scratches?; shoot on some spray paint.

But for washing machines I wouldn't say the same. More complex due to the transmission. And disassembly-reassembly into the transmission-shaft area may not be worth ones time.

Last edited by Bonehead; 12-10-05 at 11:32 AM.
Old 12-08-05, 04:29 PM
DVETS
Visiting Guest
Hey everyone,
thanks for the replys. Sure sounds like I need to wait till something really goes bad. I may wait to use the 'we need a new one' speech for something that is really worth it. The only thing I wonder about is a washer that can handle larger loads therefore we can do less loads. (Ha ha listen to me..."we")...............

Old 12-08-05, 04:50 PM
At least you realize that they will have to be replaced "someday". This way you can set aside a little money on a steady basis instead of suddenly needing a lump sum.(which always happens at a bad time) You also have time to do your homework on the best and most efficient brands. Good luck.

Old 04-19-06, 01:56 AM
R
I'd say wait till it breaks. We have had a Kenmore dryer for almost 20 years and the only thing we have had replaced is the buzzer that comes on if the lint filter needs to be cleaned. We had a Kenmore washer that lasted almost as long as the dryer has. We had to get a new one not long ago because the old one wouldn't stop when the lid was raised and later found out when the cover was taken off that the frame was starting to rust. So we decided to get a new one.

Old 04-19-06, 11:12 AM
As has already been mentioned, in the case of refrigerator or freezer, replacing a model that is more than 10 years old can equate to some savings, assuming the replacement is of similar capacity. Choosing Energy Star rated models increases the savings. We saw a significant decrease in the electric bill when we replaced our old freezer.

Replacing a dryer, as has also been mentioned, usually provides little energy savings. Replacing a washer with a similar model provides little savings as well, but replacing a washer with a newer Energy Star rated washer can provide savings in water usage (which may also equate to savings in electricity or gas used to heat the water) and electricity or gas used by the dryer since the Energy Star rated washers extract more water during the spin cycle. My wife maintains that we saw little difference in the utility bills after we traded our old washer for a new Energy Star rated front loader, but given that utility rates increased drastically after we got the washer, no change is, in fact, savings. Our new washer is also bigger than the old one and the dryer, because of the increased water extraction, runs a cycle in much less time, so we get through the laundry pile faster. Well worth the investment in our house.

Overall, I would sooner put money into replacing inefficient windows and doors and adding insulation, but when it is time to replace the existing appliances, shop smart. The Energy Star web site lists models that earn an Energy Star rating and some cost little more to purchase than their non-Energy Star counterparts.

Doug M.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: